Is it 1986? (Come inside, hear music!)

MrJoshua

• Members
I'm not a fan of chorus on bass. At all.
:facepalm:
:D
There is some subtle delay on the guitar. Maybe I'll crank it up and see what happens.

It's a very 80's thing. But I hear you. You won't see me ever use a true Autowah. I want a way subtle variation on it, just waiting for the right price on one on Ebay. But Envelope Filters? No bloody way.

• Members
It's a very 80's thing. But I hear you. You won't see me ever use a true Autowah. I want a way subtle variation on it, just waiting for the right price on one on Ebay. But Envelope Filters? No bloody way.

Oh, envelope filters are a different story. :D I don't think they'd ever be useful with my music, but if I had one I'd probably spend a week playing with it and making annoying false funk records (like false metal, only less funky) before moving on to something else. :)

• Members
Oh, envelope filters are a different story.
:D
I don't think they'd ever be useful with my music, but if I had one I'd probably spend a week playing with it and making annoying false funk records (like false metal, only less funky) before moving on to something else.
:)

I bought one, I tried it for a bit. I realized I am a distortion kind of guy and this is useless to me. I use a wah, but never in the fast way most do, it's more of a variable filter to me. I'll swell it slowly over a verse, or just leave it on mid-position for whole songs as part of the overall tone. Here's where a chorus can have interesting use, post open wah.

• Members

I don't really put much besides a bit of compression on bass, most of the time. I have an RNC in the effects loop of my live rig, and I generally use a plugin in the studio, but compression is pretty much it. Maybe a bit of EQ when necessary. I guess I'm just old fashioned. :)

• Members
I don't really put much besides a bit of compression on bass, most of the time. I have an RNC in the effects loop of my live rig, and I generally use a plugin in the studio, but compression is pretty much it. Maybe a bit of EQ when necessary. I guess I'm just old fashioned.
:)

I've long ago accepted that I am an alien when it comes to my approach to playing bass. I don't like traditional too much.

• Members
I've long ago accepted that I am an alien when it comes to my approach to playing bass. I don't like traditional too much.

With me it isn't so much about tradition as it is about what works with my music. If I was messing around with a wah pedal and came up with something that I thought sounded cool, I'd use it. :) But most of the time, with the songs I write, what works best is a pretty dry bass tone. Lately, for recording I've just been taking a P/J (either my Fender Aerodyne or my St. Blues) and plugging it straight into an API 512c preamp.

But that's because I write semi-weird pop tunes that may or may not sound like something from the 80's. :D If I were into and writing different types of music, I'd want more effects to try out.

Heck, I just recently got around to buying any effects pedals for my guitar. :)

• Members
ill agree on that
:lol:
but seriously pretty good music

im not picking up on the 80's vibe sounds like the stuff they play on the radio today
:thu::rolleyes:

obviously you didnt live the 80s...think you might be lucky there :lol: definately 80s, although i would say earlier than 86. kinda has a flock of seagulls vs. rick springfield kinda weirdness crossmatch :lol: and btw, i cant play bass worth a crap but i still do it against better judgement so keep howling and screaching and make all the noise ya want! :D:lol:

• Members

It was suggested to me on one of the recording boards that I try layering on some delay and reverb with the vocals instead of leaving them so dry. I'm split on that, as while I think I have a fairly weak voice, it always winds up sounding cheesy to me when I start putting effects on it. What do y'all think?

BG9 - I'm not sure if I need to turn the bass up, or just give it some more mids so it cuts a little better. If it does go up, it doesn't need to be much, but I might try giving it a little more in the next mix. :)

Archived