Me Too! (Back to School)

mlwarriner

• Members

Not to derail the phisher of cat's thread, but I'm getting back into school as well.

To become a teacher.

Found an on-line degree program from a "real school" that's tailored for people like me. Working folks with an AAS degree that want to get out of production and into education. Probably a couple or three years of classes and I'll have a Bachelor's in Technical Education.

I've had a few teachers along the way that really made a difference in my life, and I feel like I owe them something. The best way I can think to repay them is to make a difference in the life of more students.

And being a teacher is one of those things that's always been in the back of my mind. I've done it some (on a far less formal basis) and enjoyed it. Maybe I'll get in a tech school, or a high school somewhere. Not sure, and at this point I don't think I care.

I just want to be that guy that people talk about making a difference to them...

Yay!

• Members

It's a great gig if it's something you enjoy.

I'd still encourage you to contact your local CC and inquire about adjunct teaching possibilities.

once i'm officially started on school, i may do that. at the same time, though, i feel a strong loyalty to my current employer, and want to give them as much as i can...

we'll see what happens.

• Members

once i'm officially started on school, i may do that. at the same time, though, i feel a strong loyalty to my current employer, and want to give them as much as i can...

Being adjunct faculty means that you would likely teach one course one night per week. I don't see how that affects the loyalty to your current employer. If anything, having you teach locally is a boost to the company.

• Members

do you actually get any class contact time doing an online teaching course?

not to be condascending or nowt but there's nothing you can learn from lectures or anything like that that can truly prepare you for standing in front of a class full of 30 kids and doing it for real.

for the most part you learn a {censored}load more on the job than when you're training.

just something you need to consider. but either way, go for it if you think you'll dig it. beats having more lawyers and accountants :thu:

• Members

not to be condascending or nowt but there's nothing you can learn from lectures or anything like that that can truly prepare you for standing in front of a class full of 30 kids and doing it for real.

This is one reason why I suggested Matt look into an adjunct position at a local community college.

• Members

Being adjunct faculty means that you would likely teach one course one night per week. I don't see how that affects the loyalty to your current employer. If anything, having you teach locally is a boost to the company.

true, true.

my boss is on the advisory board for a local tech college place, and they're seeking adjunct cadd teachers.

but they want them to have BS degrees...

dunno. i might reach out to them and see what they think as well.

• Members

do you actually get any class contact time doing an online teaching course?

for the most part you learn a {censored}load more on the job than when you're training.

just something you need to consider. but either way, go for it if you think you'll dig it. beats having more lawyers and accountants
:thu:

i've done it before, sort of. not as my profession, but taught several classes/courses and was a certified instructor (for combat lifesaver and first aid classes) in the military. i did ok with teaching people who DIDN'T want to be there, i think i'll be ok with people who do want to be there.

and maybe not. but i'll never know if i'm supposed to teach if i don't ever give it a shot, right?

• Members

but they want them to have BS degrees...

dunno. i might reach out to them and see what they think as well.

It can't hurt. All they will can say is "no"...or "yes!". If they're having trouble finding people (I know that I am in my field) that they'll hire someone with an AA/AS/AAS. I'm actually going to hire one of my former students to teach for me in the Spring and he only has an AAS.

• Members

It can't hurt. All they will can say is "no"...or "yes!". If they're having trouble finding people (I know that I am in my field) that they'll hire someone with an AA/AS/AAS. I'm actually going to hire one of my former students to teach for me in the Spring and he only has an AAS.

The other thing to consider is that I'll be working full time, still, and trying to take as many classes at once as I reasonably can. Wondering if I'll have time to devote to teaching as well...

Archived