Which 6-stringers ?

Cpt. Spliff

• Members

I've been thinking of buying a 6-stringer to noodle in the long, dark winter-evenings. Around these parts there's not many to be found. Our "Craig-list" offers three for the time being. A Warwack Corvette Pro Line bolt-on with Barts, a Shechter (apparantly) Stiletto with EMG's and a new Woodo neck-through (active/passive) with Kent Armstrongs. Instruments are quite expensive here and all of them cost just under a K. Would any of them be worthwhile or would I be better off ordering something else ? I haven't got a chance to listen to any of them, except a sound-clip for the Woodo, with some fretboard clanking.

For home-noodling I don't need a uber-top-of-the-line-custom-job, but I want a good bass, that doesn't let me down. I want a firm B, a fretboard that's not too fat, wide or narrow and a good pre-amp, if active. I'm not worried about looks, but more about tone and playability.

I know some of you have 6-stringers, so, please, post some of the pros and cons of different ones from what you know.

• Members

Another vote for Ibanez here. I have a BTB Prestige at it kills. All of the other 6 string basses in the BTB series have a pretty similar feeling neck, just with different preamp/pickup options and bolt-on necks instead of neck-through.

Like TJF, I don't have a tone of experience with 6ers though. The only 6 string bass I directly compared my BTB to is the MTD Z6. I definitely preferred the feel of the Ibanez neck (the MTD neck was too wide) and the Bart pickups in my BTB sounded way better than the harsh MTD pups.

In terms of price/quality ratio, I think you'd have a hard time beating Ibanez basses, especially looking at 6 string...

• Members

The answers so far are in 100 percent favour of Ibanez and preferably with Barts. Does anyone else here have experience with 6-string basses and want to share ?

I'm thankful for the advise, but 1K is a lot of money and the appr. 2,3K the 1206 costs here is even more so. I meant to try it this winter ;)

• Members

I've had an Ibanez SR406, and had the chance to play a 506. I'd definitely get that one now (the 506) and be happy with the purchase. They really improved the model from the previous incarnation.

One I'd really like to try is the Schecter Elite Studio 6. I only had a chance to play the 5 string version, and was really impressed. Granted, it had that "hi fi" sound that many may not like, but for me it was perfect.

I'm hoping the gigs this next year will allow me to get a 6er (as it looks right now, I'm going to string up my Corvette EADGC).

• Members

How did the B-strings on the Schecter and the Corvette compare ?

Does Ibanez have the same width of neck on all their 6'ers ?

My experience with Ibanez is that they've always been a little narrow in terms of neck width across the board. Not anything huge, but just a tad.

The B string on the Schecter I tried felt pretty solid. That bass as a whole sounded a lot tighter, studio-quiet than anything else. The Corvette will have more of a growl to it. I've found that, depending on the B string you use, it makes a bigger difference on the 'wick than anything else. Sticking with at least a .130 for me is great; anything else and you lose a little.

• Members

I guess I'll have to go try an Ibanez(neck), but the nearest place so far is some 350 miles away :facepalm:

The width at the nut on my Ibby 5'er is as wide as that of my MMSR5. If the stringspacing on the 6'ers is not narrower, it should do me fine, though.

Anyway, I appreciate the info on the Warwick. The 130+ gauge rules it out for me. I can't see myself noodle with such heavy strings.

The Brice seems a nice option, the problem being it's nowhere to be found in this neck of the woods. I suppose it has to be one of the bigger brands to be imported here. Scandinavia is not alive with 6'ers.

Archived