Question on Rick 4001 bass

sh944

• Members

I've been looking at Rick 4001's lately, and am set on getting one. I have found one locally, and am torn on it. This one has a good deal of playing wear, but plays ok and is priced relatively cheap compared to what I have seen other Rick basses selling for (asking price is $1200). The only thing that I am concerned about is that the neck pickup has been replaced with a Gibson EBO pick-up. It sounds fine, but I am not 100% convinced that I would be as happy with this compared to a stock pick up. Anyone have any comments about that mod?

Also, how big a difference is there between teh 4001 and 4003 necks? I know the 4003 is designed for round wound strings, but every 4001 I have played has had round wounds and played awesome, and I have yet to play a 4003.

Regards,

• Members

I wouldn't touch it. That mod killed any value for the vintage market, and I can't see how anyone would think installing a mud-bucker on a Ric is a tonal improvement. :facepalm:

If you're still interested go play it. If you still want it, I'd offer $800 max. It's just not worth much more than that.

• Members

I wouldn't touch it. That mod killed any value for the vintage market, and I can't see how anyone would think installing a mud-bucker on a Ric is a tonal improvement.
:facepalm:

If you're still interested go play it. If you still want it, I'd offer $800 max. It's just not worth much more than that.

yep - I wouldn't touch it unless you were sure it was a "keep er". The resale value is shot with that mod.

• Members

My advice is to get a 4003. One from the 90's or a newer one, if you have the option. Old 4001's can have issues if someone who didn't know what they were doing messed with the rods. Also, I may get flamed, but the 4003 is a superior instrument, IMO.

• 7 months later...

Archived