Recommendation: Juicer

Thunderbroom

• Members

My wife and I were just talking in the kitchen about gifts as I was eyeballing the beer that I received from a relative for Christmas. She told me she still had birthday money to spend (from several months ago) and has really wanted a juicer. She thought I should as here since we've received so many good product recommendations and other helpful info over the years. Her budget is $300 max.

• Members

omega8005.gif

http://www.discountjuicers.com/omega8005.html

http://bestjuiceextractorreviews.com/Omega8005Juicer.htm

10-year warranty for the 8005 is now a 15 year warranty for the 8006.

Get the Omega 8006. I have the 8005 and it's one hell of a lot easier to clean than one of those crappy bladed ones. More juice and even does wheat grass. Don't mess around with the bladed ones as you'll only wind up leaving it in the cupboard.

I did a lot of research when replacing my first one. This is the best overall.

• Members

You're not joking, are you?

:(

Sadly, no. The upshot is that we are making most of our own baby food. I haven't looked to see how much more the organic crap costs than it's chemically identical non-organic counterpart and I probably don't want to.

• Members

Anybody have any thoughts on

Edit: PG beat me too it.

I should add that it quietly grinds away at most anything you drop in it. Doesn't leave everyone in the house covering their ears for 20 minutes while you feed veggies and fruits in. Also I get way more juice than my old Hamilton Beach blender-type one. The pulps are nearly dry. Two apples makes me nearly a glass of juice.

Keep in mind that the tonnes of fruit and veggies are what's going to cost you most in the long run. Get something that makes the most of them.

• Members

Sadly, no. The upshot is that we are making most of our own baby food. I haven't looked to see how much more the organic crap costs than it's chemically identical non-organic counterpart and I probably don't want to.

Get ready for a ride if your wife gets on the all-natural kick. You would not believe how much we spend on groceries each month. I finally itemized the last 5 months worth of bills/receipts to see exactly where our money is going and almost had a heart attack. We are going to try to cut back on the expense, but I'm certain that cutting back on the organic stuff isn't going to happen.

• Members

Get ready for a ride if your wife gets on the all-natural kick. You would not believe how much we spend on groceries each month. I finally itemized the last 5 months worth of bills/receipts to see exactly where our money is going and almost had a heart attack. We are going to try to cut back on the expense, but I'm certain that cutting back on the organic stuff isn't going to happen.

Why not just make a rule of nothing processed, jarred or canned, and buy regular fruits and veggies.

Some things are advantageously raised 'organic'. Others are raised organic regardless, but some assholes come along and slap an 'organic' sticker on them to raise the price. Find out which is which.

"Look mommy! These carrots say 'low fat' on them, and they're only a dollar more!" :facepalm:

• Members

Why not just make a rule of nothing processed, jarred or canned, and buy regular fruits and veggies.

Because I don't have a problem with processed, jarred or canned foods.

I am not convinced that the extra cost translates into me living healthier. My opinion: "organic" is a religion like "man-made global warming" seems to be.

• Members

I'm taking a hard line on that non-sense. My wife is pretty reasonable when it comes to things like that, but she's also very prone to going along with what all of her friends are doing even if they are doing something that cannot be rationalized.

I get whatever gear I want, and she works at least 30 hours a week now, so I really don't care too much about what she wants to do.

• Members

I'm taking a hard line on that non-sense. My wife is pretty reasonable when it comes to things like that, but she's also very prone to going along with what all of her friends are doing even if they are doing something that cannot be rationalized.

I get whatever gear I want, and she works at least 30 hours a week now, so I really don't care too much about what she wants to do.

Good luck!

We're tightening up spending in my household as we're looking at about $8k for new flooring, $18k for new siding, and a couple of G's for painting. We're also putting more away for retirement and are trying to build up our emergency fund.

• Members

The {censored}ty thing is that we are putting away a lot of money, we have next to no debt and there is no good reason for her not to buy the overpriced foodstuffs other than the fact that it is a waste of money and I could be using that cash for gourmet popcorn.

• Members

My wife went through this as well. It lasted a couple months before I produced the evidence that said organic produce is no better than regular produce. We even bought organic milk for a while until it turned out that two of the brands we were using weren't even certified organic. So now we buy local milk that simply says "no hormones used". We still buy organic meat when we can but our options are limited here. There is no bigger scam right now than organic food.

Archived