• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

man, you should know that shiny lights
always
distract guitarists.
:facepalm:

not just shiny lights. but I know its a bad idea to bring the thundercheif, with the custom flame inlay running the length of the fretboard. No dots... how could the guitarist know what I was playing?

• Members

EXACTLY what I was thinking. It shouldn't matter but sometimes it does.

Yes, of course it does sometimes. That is why it comes down to you auditioning them at the same time. If it does matter that much to them, then is this a band I want to be playing with? For me the answer would be no.

• Members

i wouldn't take the T-bird. it makes a statement.

i would pick a bass that would have the tone you want, but would be a non-issue visually. let them hear what you're playing, instead of seeing it.

blah blah blah yeah they shouldn't be picking a bassist based on appearance, but everything comes into play at an audition.

i almost always take a Pbass to auditions. it always sounds good with whatever amplification might be provided, and its completey unobjectionable.

I brought my 88 Charvel in firecrackle to my audition w/ Black Beauties, and they flipped out! Of course the lead guy ended up being a huge ESP/Jackson/Les Paul guy, so he understood! :thu:

• Members

Yes, of course it does sometimes. That is why it comes down to you auditioning them at the same time. If it does matter that much to them, then is this a band I want to be playing with? For me the answer would be no.

I love your point collin. I would be SO miserable in a band with people that narrow minded.

I'll just take whatever I'm in the mood to play that day :]

now I just have to figure out what the hell I'm going to do to my rig between now and then. My tone STILL sucks.

• Members

I was watching old Kansas videos on Youtube yesterday and Dave Hope was getting some serious great classic tone from his Fender. Same goes for the BP from Montrose, he was playing Fender through Ampeg on an old "Bad Motor Scooter" video (a young Sammy Hagar on lead vocal).

If you want to hear the best T-Bird tone eva, try listening to Martin Turner's tone on Wishbone Ash's song "Sometime World" from the album ARGUS. There's an extended jam at the end and his playing and tone are just THE BOMB. It's in my top 3 (of all time) Best Bass Tones.

The T-Bird not only has the classic tone, it's got the old school vibe so that's the bass I would bring, as long as it's comfortable.

• Members

My votes are for the Yammy and the Peavey, lookswise. The P/J setup of the Yammy should cover most ground tonewise. The T40 likewise, I'd think, though I have zero time on the bass. I'm goin' more by what I've heard on records and comments around here.

Which are you most comfortable on? And I wouldn't worry about a bright orange bass, I don't think that would be an issue. I think it'd look even better with a competition black/white racing stripe on it. :D

• Members

A Sansamp might be the easist and cheapest option, but from what I'm hearing from you an Ampeg rehearsal combo might be what you're looking for. If you stick with the band then maybe you can buy something like a B115 and leave it there.

• Members

A Sansamp might be the easist and cheapest option, but from what I'm hearing from you an Ampeg rehearsal combo might be what you're looking for. If you stick with the band then maybe you can buy something like a B115 and leave it there.

that's an option I suppose, but then my stage rig will have a totally different sound :

• Members

this is going to be TOO cool, they just emailed me their song list, so I had something to prepare, they said "just worry about the first set, we don't want you to have to do too much work, we just sent the whole list to give you an idea of what we are doing"

well, not only do I like EVERY song on the list, but the hell with the first set, there are only TWO songs on the WHOLE list that I don't already know :]

• Members

that's an option I suppose, but then my stage rig will have a totally different sound :

Have you played on a loud stage with your current stage rig? Some stage rigs don't start getting "the sound" until you actually turn them up LOUD onstage. Most Ampeg SVT's (with 810 cabs) sound like crap until you actually crank'em up, then all that midrange (of the eight 10's) turns into a wall of low-end thunder. The B115 (and the B100) gets the classic tone at rehearsal levels, which is why they are such popular studio amps.

The new Line6 Lowdown combos are going for a great prices now at GC. They have all sorts of sound options and effects. I'd A/B the Lowdown vs an Ampeg if I was in the market for a rehearsal amp.

• Members

Have you played on a loud stage with your current stage rig? Some stage rigs don't start getting "the sound" until you actually turn them up LOUD onstage. Most Ampeg SVT's (with 810 cabs) sound like crap until you actually crank'em up, then all that midrange (of the eight 10's) turns into a wall of low-end thunder. The B115 (and the B100) gets the classic tone at rehearsal levels, which is why they are such popular studio amps.

The new Line6 Lowdown combos are going for a great prices now at GC. They have all sorts of sound options and effects. I'd A/B the Lowdown vs an Ampeg if I was in the market for a rehearsal amp.

I can't give my amp a workout especially with the 810 hooked up. last time I tried it, I got the power amp just above 2 before the neighbors called the cops

• Members

dammit, things just got more complicated.

the neighbors werent home, so I turned it up a bit, with the 410, and cranked the gain. And I don't HATE the tone with it cranked up, actually , its nothing I'd be ashamed of, I'm just not thrilled with it. I'd like the gain to be a little more controllable. But its a LOT closer to the sound I want than what I thought.

I don't know if 150 for a pedal to make it sound like an svt is a good idea anymore. A little bit of tube warmth and some more controllable drive is what I need , I THINK : But the problem still remains, short of buying another amp, how do I get that tone and growl at lower volumes :[

There aren't going to be many places I can take that 810 around here, let alone use it to anywhere near its potential.

• Members

dammit, things just got more complicated.

the neighbors werent home, so I turned it up a bit, with the 410, and cranked the gain. And I don't HATE the tone with it cranked up, actually , its nothing I'd be ashamed of, I'm just not thrilled with it. I'd like the gain to be a little more controllable. But its a LOT closer to the sound I want than what I thought.

I don't know if 150 for a pedal to make it sound like an svt is a good idea anymore. A little bit of tube warmth and some more controllable drive is what I need , I THINK : But the problem still remains, short of buying another amp, how do I get that tone and growl at lower volumes :[

There aren't going to be many places I can take that 810 around here, let alone use it to anywhere near its potential.

Everybodys idea of great tone is different. Still, my standard answer is: new strings

Archived