Setting Up My L-2000

Thunderbroom

• Members

I rarely play my L-2000 anymore, so I got to thinking why. I realize that the action is in the stratosphere. I'm using Kindness' setup thread. Following his guidance, I just checked the E string clearance. It's between .130 and .140. :eek:

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this is going to sweeten this bass. I'm realizing just how much I didn't know when I bought it, how much I've learned since actually gigging regularly, and how I hope that I get it to where I enjoy playing it again.

I'm going in.

• Members

I have the action on my L-2K pretty damn low, and it's amazing how much familiarity makes a difference- other players (and not always bad ones) sound bad on my bass 'cuz they aren't familiar with my bass.

Yup. As important as it is to try different basses, I rarely like the setups on them.

• Members

Yup. As important as it is to try different basses, I rarely like the setups on them.

It's why, when it was slow at the GC I worked at, I would change strings and set up basses. I had to set them up as 'neutral' as possible- not how I'd like it but what is a good approximation of the middle ground between super low and super high. I would never play one with that kind of a setup but I guess it's easier to imagine it with your setup that way.

• Members

Another advantage of using mom-and-pop music stores.

About 25 years ago, I took the bass (don't remember which one) in for a cleaning, string change and set up. I have shopped there for years and still do, and I asked if I could watch him work.

That was the last time I paid anyone to set up or adjust my bass. Very cool information, and people will tell you just for asking. He happily answered all my (stupid) questions.

I doubt that GC would have let me go into the workshop area.

• Members

Another advantage of using mom-and-pop music stores.

About 25 years ago, I took the bass (don't remember which one) in for a cleaning, string change and set up. I have shopped there for years and still do, and I asked if I could watch him work.

That was the last time I paid anyone to set up or adjust my bass. Very cool information, and people will tell you just for asking. He happily answered all my (stupid) questions.

I doubt that GC would have let me go into the workshop area.

Most GC's don't have a workshop area- I did all of my setups on the accessories counter.

Archived