What Size Bass Amp?

GuiltySparc

• Members

Hey guys, my brother is looking into buying a bass amp after having taken some time off from playing. He'll be playing in my band and we arent sure what size amp to look for. Everything gets mic'd in just about all of the clubs we play so the only concern for volume is when practicing. Can you guys recommend some wattage/speaker configs to look at?

The band plays heavy blues rock/old school metal and that sort of thing. Two guitars, bass, drums, vox.

Thanks!

• Members

Hey guys, my brother is looking into buying a bass amp after having taken some time off from playing. He'll be playing in my band and we arent sure what size amp to look for. Everything gets mic'd in just about all of the clubs we play so the only concern for volume is when practicing. Can you guys recommend some wattage/speaker configs to look at?

The band plays heavy blues rock/old school metal and that sort of thing. Two guitars, bass, drums, vox.

Thanks!

IME, you don't need more than 150 watts for rehearsals. Although that may not cover venues where you're not mic'd.

I suppose 300 should do OK... with a little extra headroom. But keep in mind that even 300 watts might not hold its own at a gig (depending on how loud everyone else is).

As for cab, I would think a 1x15 should do it. Or have a couple of 1x12's. You only need one for the mic'ing and stage volume. But you also have the 2nd one to bring to gigs without PA support.

YMMV

• Members

Buy as big as he can afford.... 300 watts would be the minimum I would think.

+1, within reason. I'd say most 3-500 watt heads with a 4x10 or a couple smaller cabs (210 or 112) would work. It kind of depends on how loud you practice. You could get away with a lot less but for gigging, I'd keep the wattage at a minimum of 300.

Dan

• Members

Thanks!

I play in a band with the exact same configuration (Two guitars, bass, drums, vox) playing pretty much the same sort of music (maybe not much "old school heavy metal).

I rehearse thru an old SUNN Concert Bass Amp (about 150 watts RMS) and it plenty more then enough. I'm never past 3 or 4 on the volume playing thru

1 x 15 and a 2 x 10. It has handled a couple of small gigs pretty well, but for a venue of any size at all I'm taking the SUNN 1200S hyrid instead.

I agree with others that somewhere around 300 watts min. would be the safer bet....but bottom line is, I think, he should buy as much power and speaker capacity as he can afford.

EDIT: You can always turn down, but when you need to bring it, you have to have it.

• Members

I had totally forgot about this thread. He's looking to spend about $1000. Thanks for the all the info!

So 300-500w should be good and go with a 210 and the minimum?

I like a 2 x 12 myself for a little more bottom if I'm just going with one cab.

(But that's just me). The Avatar B212Neo is a great sounding cab and would leave more of the money to put toward the higher powered amp (Again, just my $ .02)

Archived