poomwah

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I believe the :facepalm: is because you are continuing to approach this from the wrong direction, even though you've been told multiple times.

Listen to the speaker. If it sounds like it isn't handling what you are doing, then it can't handle it. You don't have to treat certain speakers more delicately. They aren't people, they don't have emotions. Just pay attention when you are playing. If it sounds like you are damaging something, then you probably are. Otherwise, don't worry about it.

Again: LISTEN

listen

listen

listen

listen

:wave:

listen.

• Members

I'm listening... and I'm not liking what I'm hearing. Just playing through the cabs in a mellow kinda way, they sound GOOD.. but I figured I'd turn it up a little. Not really loud either. And it doesn't take much at all to get that thing to distort. So there it is, it sounds great at low volume. But thats's it.. So there is NO way this thing is handling a band situation... Its not even going to work for a playing along with the stereo situation. Its great for a "I'm just gonna play some mellow, smooth stuff"

I can tell you it definitely doesn't like slapping or picks, LOL

• Members

I'm listening... and I'm not liking what I'm hearing. Just playing through the cabs in a mellow kinda way, they sound GOOD.. but I figured I'd turn it up a little. Not really loud either. And it doesn't take much at all to get that thing to distort. So there it is, it sounds great at low volume. But thats's it.. So there is NO way this thing is handling a band situation... Its not even going to work for a playing along with the stereo situation. Its great for a "I'm just gonna play some mellow, smooth stuff"

I can tell you it definitely doesn't like slapping or picks, LOL

OK. Now tell us how you have the amp EQ'd and your gain structure set. Also, is this just the 1x15?

C7

• Members

OK. Now tell us how you have the amp EQ'd and your gain structure set. Also, is this
just
the 1x15?

C7

this is JUST the 1x15... if I turn the horn on, it distorts even easier. I'm running it right now on the hartke 3500, both pre-amp controls at 12 oclock. countours at 12 oclock, eq flat. I run the same amp set up exactly the same through an old carvin 210 with only one of the speakers hooked up (long story) they are 8 ohm ps10's if that matters. They have a nice layer of elmers glue on them from when they dried out and cracked ALL the way around the cones, and I needed to use them for "one more rehearsal" Anyway, with everything the same on the amp, except the volume, and the same bass.. I can play a lot louder and more aggressively without distortion on the old ten, than I can with the 15.... I can turn the volume to 3 before the glued up 10 starts to sound like its unhappy. I go past 1 with the 15, I have to play really softly.

• Members

this is JUST the 1x15... if I turn the horn on, it distorts even easier. I'm running it right now on the hartke 3500, both pre-amp controls at 12 oclock. countours at 12 oclock, eq flat. I run the same amp set up exactly the same through an old carvin 210 with only one of the speakers hooked up (long story) they are 8 ohm ps10's if that matters. They have a nice layer of elmers glue on them from when they dried out and cracked ALL the way around the cones, and I needed to use them for "one more rehearsal" Anyway, with everything the same on the amp, except the volume, and the same bass.. I can play a lot louder and more aggressively without distortion on the old ten, than I can with the 15.... I can turn the volume to 3 before the glued up 10 starts to sound like its unhappy. I go past 1 with the 15, I have to play really softly.

Try ditching the Contour. It's a mid-scoop.

Then.

Take the grille off, and push gently on the cone. Does it go "scritch-scritch", or is it silent?

Check to make sure the speaker is mounted tightly while you're at it.

If you're feeling really plucky, try taking the jackplate off and running the speaker directly to the jack. See if it's not a crossover issue, which might be why the tweeter is distorting.

Also, if you still have the Carvin 2x10, try running it with the 1x15 and see what you get.

It could be lots of things.

C7

• Members

thanks C7

ok, pulled the grille, cone movement was silent

speaker was mounted tightly, checked all the screws

eliminated crossover/tweeter, only difference was that the tweeter didnt distort , LOL

hooked up with the carvin 210, more volume overall, but still distorted too easy... and when it did distort, the distortion was coming from the 15 and not the 10s

• Members

Just drop a Kilomax Pro 15 in the box and two Kappa Pro 10s in series in the 2x10 and hook up whatever amp you want.

If you feel that you need the horns, then rip the stock pieces of {censored} out, dro pin two Galaxy Audio 5" drivers with Eminence crossovers.

Sure, it'll cost you a bundle, but at least then you'll get to enjoy the perfectly clean undistorted signal from the Hartke 3500.

• Members

Just drop a
in the box and two
in series in the 2x10 and hook up whatever amp you want.

If you feel that you need the horns, then rip the stock pieces of {censored} out, dro pin two
with

Sure, it'll cost you a bundle, but at least then you'll get to enjoy the perfectly clean undistorted signal from the Hartke 3500.

if I could afford that, I would have just bought new cabinets. instead of this definitely bad trade.

I traded eight almost new carvin 10's for THIS??

The guy seemed so cool, he came over and we talked for an hour or so. He said they were perfect except for the one speaker that got dropped... never said anything about the scratchy pots or the bad 15 and horn.

• Members

Nah, I think he's underpowering it. If he pushes past the threshold of the speaker's minimum power handling, then it should start sounding awesome.
:thu:

yeah sure, I'll get right on that :p.. I'll bridge the carvin and run it that way

• Moderators

if I could afford that, I would have just bought new cabinets. instead of this definitely bad trade.

I traded eight almost new carvin 10's for THIS??

The guy seemed so cool, he came over and we talked for an hour or so. He said they were perfect except for the one speaker that got dropped... never said anything about the scratchy pots or the bad 15 and horn.

Rather than talk for an hour you could have tested the gear you were trading. :idea:

• Members

he lives over an hour away. hasn't returned my emails yet. He seemed like a really cool guy.. in his 50's (not some young punk or anything) we talked about gear and basses and dogs. He was going to take the 810 without playing through it, but I made him check it out first anyway. By the time we had gone through that, and by the time we unloaded the avatars from his van and brought them in, my back was killing me. He was wanting to get back on the road. I just wanted to go take some ibuprofen and put some ice on my back. And like I said, it felt like I could trust him.

In short, I'm an idiot

• Moderators

It's likely he knew what he was doing.

And he's totally protected from the cops since he was there at your place with the cabinets, you willingly made the trade, it's used gear with no warranty and he can easily claim it was fine when he dropped it off and you busted it yourself.

Archived