Electronics savvy folks: Question.

L. Ron Hoover

• Members

Close but not exactly right. Power is voltage (measured in Volts) mutliplied by current (measured in Amperes). Unit of power is 1 Watt = 1 Volt * 1 Ampere.

If no load is connected, the current is 0 Ampere and hence the power that's delivered by the amp is 0 Watts, regardless of the output voltage. However, the power "disspation" is not 0. Even with no load the amp will still draw some power from the wall and turn it into heat. It's impossible to build an amp that's 100% efficient and lossless.

• Members

Like, I said earlier, I know fully well that "no load" refers to an open circuit and that the load increases as the load impedance decreases. I was just wondering if anyone else who knew anything about electronics had ever heard of "no load" referring to a short.

The maximum no-load voltage of a power amp isn't of particular importance to the end user, but it's quite important to me as a designer. You have to know that to know how much the amp's output voltage sags under load and to determine the no-load losses and efficiency of the amp.

• Members

Let me rephrase a little:

What does the general term "no load" mean to you with respect to electrical circuits?

Does it refer to an open circuit or a short circuit?

Technically a "load" is an electrical resistance placed across a voltage source. "no load" means an open circuit.

This describes it better

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_load

Archived