Schecter C-4 vs. Hellraiser- WARNING. LOTS of pics

poomwah

• Members

Dude C4's aren't exactly a rare and elusive bass, I could find 20 for sale within 10 minutes at any given moment. Go find yourself another and feel no regret!

Also, excuuuuuuse us for not giving the type of input you were looking for :rolleyes: :poke:

:D;)

• Members
Dude C4's aren't exactly a rare and elusive bass, I could find 20 for sale within 10 minutes at any given moment. Go find yourself another and feel no regret!

Also, excuuuuuuse us for not giving the type of input you were looking for
:rolleyes:
:poke:

:D;)

lol, I appreciated the input none the less.
I know c-4s are easy to find... but black cherry is a bit harder to find... not to mention that one was only 300 dollars

• Members

lol, I appreciated the input none the less.

I know c-4s are easy to find... but black cherry is a bit harder to find... not to mention that one was only 300 dollars

That's about an average price for a C4, no worries. That one looked to be in pretty dang good condition though, so you might have missed out on a quick/easy sale without much worry. If you keep an eye out, you should have another similar one within a week.

They're both nice basses don't get me wrong, but if you decided you liked the C4 more than the Hellraiser, rather than just worrying about price tags, then hold out and get what you actually want... It won't be a long wait.

• Members

Well, I gigged the Hellraiser-4 last night for the 1st time(just got it mid last week)... I planned to use it in place of the Ultra Jazz loaded VMJ(AKA "Blondie") I usually use for the modern rock/metal gig - but brought Blondie along, just in case... I never got a chance to play the Schecter through my gigging rig, let alone use it in a rehearsal - but after comparing it with Blondie thru my practice rig, I knew I'd be OK... After soundchecking with it, I figured I wouldn't even have to take Blondie out of the case - it'd work out just fine...

The plan was to cover the standard and Eb stuff with the Schecter, and D, Db, and C stuff with one of my Spector Q5 Pros... Level-wise, the Spector is a tiny bit hotter than the Schecter - even though the Schecter has an 18v preamp vs the 9v for the Spector, and them both having EMG-HZ pups - go figure... It wasn't enough of a difference to worry about - and didn't seem to make a difference regarding the DI signal sent to FOH, nor in the stage mix - but it showed slightly different on the signal meter on my wireless receiver - oh well, it's not worth sweating...

The stuff I covered with the Hellraiser was:

Down With The Sickness
Paint It Black(fast, heavy hard rock/punk version)
Gimme Back My Bullets
Would?
Bulls On Parade
Killing In The Name Of
War Pigs
Seek And Destroy
Am I Evil
Creeping Death

My impressions were that the Hellraiser didn't have quite the bite, growl, or cut through the mix characteristics that the VMJ/UJ combination has, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing... It sounded very good in a band mix, had good lows and highs, was pretty clear, yet still cut through enough to be clearly "there" - I think that for some stuff it's sound might be a bit better, for others not quite as good - as Blondie(which has always kicked ass)
- but either bass will work very well for covering that kind of material... I've sometimes thought that Blondie *might* be a little too aggessive for some of our stuff, and the Hellraiser probably is better suited in those cases... Playing-wise, the Hellraiser was more comfortable than I thought it would be - it's body is a bit smaller than the VMJs, and it hangs nicely - I definitely felt at home on stage with it... My friend in the crowd said it looked totally kickass(his words) under the lights - and was a really nice match with the black cherry Q5 it shared the stage with - which isn't such a bad thing...

I found the neck to be comfortable through the whole set - and the fret markers were just fine - moving around with it was no problem, and I played it well, despite only having it for a couple of days before the gig... The gloss finished neck wasn't sticky at all - although I have basses with both gloss and satin finishes, and as long as they're clean, don't have any problems with either...

In short, the Hellraiser rocked on it's 1st gig - I'm now quite sure it's a keeper... Given it's 2 pin DIP switch, 18v onboard preamp and EQ, I feel I could easily cover alot of different styles with it - and it was enjoyable to play, and move around the stage with... It sounded very, very good, stayed in tune quite well, even though I thrashed the crap outta it on a few tunes, and was 100% trouble-free... In preparation after getting it, I put on a new set of Boomer mediums, adjusted the truss rod and saddle heights, set the intonation, and lowered the nut slots a bit - besides a good cleaning and polishing... It was really nothing much more than I typically do to any bass I aquire - and although "used", it's like new - and cleaner than many "new" instruments one sees hanging in a music store... It literally doesn't have a scratch on it, and ZERO fret wear - and once cleaned and polished, is quite an attractive instrument, IMO...

BTW, I top loaded the strings, since I already had a new set on hand - and they weren't long scale plus... Next time I buy strings for it, I'll get them, and string it through body - and I'll report the differences, if any...

Hope this helps, Poom - the Hellraiser-4 gets both thumbs up from me...

- georgestrings

• Members

You're welcome - please let me know if I can answer anything else... I'll keep my fingers crossed for you - I think you'd really like one of those basses - I'm keeping mine...

- georgestrings

my FIRST choice would be a cv-4... but the hellraiser looks like a nice second or third choice :]

• Members

, but if one was actually worth more than the other in terms of resale value.

I just read this again, and given this criteria, the Hellraiser *might* be a better bet - I'm guessing that neck thru, string thru body option, and the 18v preamp would help in a better resale value - besides, it appears that C-4s are pretty common, although I looked, and didn't see the same of Hellraisers...

- georgestrings

• Members

rgr, the Hellraisers are a lot harder to come by.

Yeah, it really looks that way - although both are still in production... I didn't actually look for mine - it kinda found me: I saw it hanging for a couple of weeks, and didn't give it much thought since my somewhat negative experience with the Stiletto Elite-5... However, I ended up trying it out, and really took a liking to it - the next day, I put my MIJ Jazz Bass Special back together, went back, and played "let's make a deal"... I'm satisfied with the results...

- georgestrings

Archived