Bass friend is looking for a new setup- sub $1k

JnBroadbent

• Members

She plays bluegrass/folk stuff with her band then some metal stuff when she chills with mine.

Anyways, what's out there? Gallien Krueger or whatever seems good for that price. I don't know crap about bass besides an Ampeg CL + 810 + sansamp driver makes me cum.

But her pockets aren't that deep. :lol:

• Members

This! Is the correct answer. Av cabs are the
:love:
and Carvin is pretty much bulletproof. To say nothing about having a wide range of tones that could cover both metal and bluegrass.

Never thought I'd put those two words together quite like that.
:lol::freak:

and I've still even got the original box to ship it in :p

• Members

gonzo has a nice rig there for sale, you should definitely see what he wants for it. and by all means, do as much research as you can before ANY purchase. You'll find mesa boogie to be extremely nice rigs. You will also find, no matter how much research that you do, that the carvin bx1200's are absolutely incredible amps. and anyone that tells you otherwise has never used one.

See what gonzo wants for his, if its not a deal you like, PM me, and you can have the carvin for 400 shipped :]

• Members

You will also find, no matter how much research that you do, that the carvin bx1200's are absolutely incredible amps. and anyone that tells you otherwise has never used one.

What length of time is "used?" I used Jeffbass's one afternoon, and found it to offer a very good deal of bang for the buck. I wouldn't, however, call it "absolutely incredible."

So, do I fall in the "has never used one" category?

• Members

Absolutely nothing about Carvin bass stuff is anything more than "pretty good for the buck." They are good, fairly reliable, but offer nothing particularly compelling. For 500 bucks I'd rather have a Peavey Tour 700 - might be able to sell it later and make half my money back :)

I will be forthright and say I haven't done more than listen to the new ones, but all of the older ones (redline, pb, etc) I have played just sounded bland. And not particularly "loud" for the watts.

If I'm going to spend 500 bucks I want something more than "just OK." Y'know? Most of the reliable people I have talked to have said exactly that -- the amps sound "OK" but nothing to write home about.

At the ~500.00 range you have the Peavey Tour 700, Gk 700 RB II, a used GBE 600, all that stuff, that is more than adequate power-wise, better resale value, and all with better support reputations.

• Members

Or , she could buy my Mesa Boogie Venture!!! 650 watt,2-12 combo.It's got wheels,and it sounds great!!! Pretty versitile tone wise as well!

Very cool option. Is it less than a grand?

I was going to vote for Poomwah's Carvin but he's stuck with that baby until he learns to love it. :cop:

• Members

sorry, should have said asolutely incredible for the money.

and I meant anyone thats spent any time with one. not just an afternoon, or a casual listening. those who have actually given the amp a chance. can't say the same for other carvin gear, but those who have given the bx1200 a chance have absolutely raved about them.

• Members

I was going to vote for Poomwah's Carvin but he's stuck with that baby until he learns to love it.
:cop:

what do you know, you like carvin amps... that amp you have is no big deal jeff, its just "ok for the money" :poke:

• Members

What length of time is "used?" I used Jeffbass's one afternoon, and found it to offer a very good deal of bang for the buck. I wouldn't, however, call it "absolutely incredible."

So, do I fall in the "has never used one" category?

We never ran it into two 4 ohms cabs, which would have up'd the wattage (per amp) from 275w to 400w in bi-amp mode. We also never bridged it into a single big ass Vida cab, which would have been a full 1200w of full thrusting power. If there's a cab that can handle that at Kindness's GTG, we can give it a whirl. Maybe we can re-wire your little Bergie cab to 4 ohms and bridge my BX1200 into it.. :eek:

• Members

I'm not trying to start anything. I just know that the only person I ever heard complain about a bx1200 was ME, and that was BEFORE I really gave the thing a chance... Thanks Jeff by the way for the advice on setting it up.

I was just trying to help the OP out. For the price, I personally can't think of a better option.. a practically new stage worthy amp with all the clean power anybody would ever need. they pick up a halfway decent cabinet, and not only are they coming in under their 1000 dollars budget, they'd be coming in a couple hundred dollars under their budget.

I'm just trying to help.

• Members

I was going to vote for Poomwah's Carvin but he's stuck with that baby until he learns to love it.
:cop:

If the Op wants to know,he'll ask. How about you Jeffbass? You interested? I live close enough to you ( I think ) that there would be no need to ship!!!

• Members

I'm not trying to start anything. I just know that the only person I ever heard complain about a bx1200 was ME, and that was BEFORE I really gave the thing a chance... Thanks Jeff by the way for the advice on setting it up.

I was just trying to help the OP out. For the price, I personally can't think of a better option.. a practically new stage worthy amp with all the clean power anybody would ever need. they pick up a halfway decent cabinet, and not only are they coming in under their 1000 dollars budget, they'd be coming in a couple hundred dollars under their budget.

I'm just trying to help.

I know your not trying to start anything. :)

I just want others interested in the topic to know there are alternatives, and that the Carvin keeps up with them and has other stuff to offer.

Sure, there is a lot of crap gear out there, but there is a LOT of gear out there period...and that just means more diamonds in the rough. I'd like to see Carvin's reputation back to what it was in the 80's, and think this new crop of gear is a step in that direction.

The BX1200, in particular, might not suit folks looking for a simple, straight ahead amp. Remember how, not too long ago, you were drowning in option anxiety? Everybody around here raves about Genz Benz heads as well, but for me, they just have too much schtuff on 'em.

• Members

If the Op wants to know,he'll ask. How about you Jeffbass? You interested? I live close enough to you ( I think ) that there would be no need to ship!!!

Actually I love my Carvin head with my Dr. Bass cabs. I just wish I ordered 4 ohm version of the cabs to make use of the heads power. Dr. Bass also came out with a 15" version of the LF cab and a slanted version of the 1260 (3-way cab). 4 ohm versions of these would be ideal for my Carvin. Right now I'm running only 275w into each cab, and they're small cabs (12") so the sound isn't as BIG as it could be. It is however very articulate and smooth. My new ATK bass brings out new character with my stack also. More beef.

T. Alan makes a valid point, the head is complex, almost like a mini PA. The big dog B1500 is much easier to dial in and so is the new hybrid BX500, which is going for 400.00 brand new right now and competes directly with the GB Shuttle and the LMII. I wish the BX500 was out earlier!

Archived