That is it !!! I am now a bass player !!!! gear advice needed

GRIFF10672

• Members

What's up guys / gals ( if there is any in here )

quick story :

I'm 38 .. have been playing guitar in and out of bands since the age of 19 .

Back in 92 was introduced to a band called Primus . Obviously along with the killer guitar playing on those albums I was exposed to Mr. Claypool .

but didn't buy a bass till 02 ....a Jap Washburn that actually has a decent Fat ass Humbucker in it with with a decent active tone .

Anyway ... in the last 6 months that is all I have been doing ...

I think I'm ready to trade all my guitar gear for bass gear ..

So here's the big question :

what are my options for a decent small rig . something big enough for clubs and small places and obviously hold it's own at a rehearal space .

I don't want to lug a 8x10 around .

and obviously Ampeg , GK , Hartke , are a few names that pop into my head but I have never played enough of them to draw what I would call a decent opinion .

so what setup for around 500 - 1000 $$

• Members

that's funny

I 've owned 2 Avatar 2x12 in the past ... I 'm assuming they make different bass cabs ?? ( checking now )

thanks for the input guys

They're using the 2512II's now IIRC. Aside from that, not much has changed, if anything.

• Members

now as far as amps

is tube better than solid state like in the guitar world or is it easier to go SS playing bass ??

All tube vs. all tranny vs. hybrid = red vs. blue vs. yellow

Just different colors to work with, bro. Use what inspires you. Personally, I lean towards quality over quantity.

• Members

2 votes now on the GK stuff ..

I plugged into one of the kickback combos ( i have no idea wich one ) a while back and loved it !!

Not a big fan of those, but if you liked that, you'll cream all over yourself with an RB series head into a cab like an Avatar.

• Members

This stack served me well:

IMG_0034.jpg

$600 for the 1001rbII, about $700 for the cabs. I played many gigs with the 212 as a standalone.

That said, if I were to recommend a cab for that amp, it would be a 4x10, which is what I'm playing now. A Peavey Tour 410.

The 1001rbII has done well for metal, hard rock, funk, blues, reggae, jam, and everything else I've done with it.

C7

• Members

I would suggest that you keep a guitar and maybe a small amp. It doesn't hurt to have them around. A lot of bassists play guitar a little bit, myself included.

Just because you're taking on another instrument doesn't mean you have to give up another. :)

Archived