Tokai Rockinbetter vs Indie IRK Rick copies

Ratae Corieltauvorum

• Moderators

OK,anybody have any direct experience with either of these, as I have a buddy in a band....well he's a dr*mmer, and they want to club in and buy their bassist a decent Ric clone. He's just bombed out on another bidding war for a 70s clone, think this time it was a Greco, theyre getting silly money, over here fetching nigh on 7-800 quid,which is 75% of the way to a 4001.

So this

2619-large.jpg

or there's natural

22196.png

versus this, the more authentic looking headstock is cool, but...:

rockinbetter.jpg

I'm happy to do some work on the electronics, eg swap in pots etc, but which is the best modding option? The Rockinbetter is closer to the original I suppose inasmuch as it's neck thru:confused:

• Moderators

whatever you get, if it's a ric style you are looking for and it isn't a neck-thru, why bother?

You tell me, is a Rick the product of the neck thru or a product of it's pickups?

A possible testament is that some bass players recommend long scale Danos with bolt on necks to get a good Rick sound, so it all depends on whether you want a neck thru or a Rick sound or a blend of all the good things.

Seems to me that a decent Rick look and a decent Rick sound would be the greater good? YMMV

• Members

the thing that makes a ric a ric, is its sound, no doubt. That obviously is most to do with the pickups themselves.

But the other most distinctive thing about a ric, besides the obvious aesthetics, is the way it plays. The ric has a very narrow neck that is basically the same width all the way down. It makes for a unique playing experience. I would think the particular feel of a ric would best be replicated with a neck thru, which in turn would obviously influence the tonal characteristics you would look for in a ric beneficially.

does that make sense? i dont want to reread it!

• Members

the thing that makes a ric a ric, is its sound, no doubt. That obviously is most to do with the pickups themselves.

But the other most distinctive thing about a ric, besides the obvious aesthetics, is the way it plays. The ric has a very narrow neck that is basically the same width all the way down. It makes for a unique playing experience. I would think the particular feel of a ric would best be replicated with a neck thru, which in turn would obviously influence the tonal characteristics you would look for in a ric beneficially.

does that make sense? i dont want to reread it!

I also think the solid maple gives them a part of that Ric tone.

• Moderators

The ric has a very narrow neck that is basically the same width all the way down.

Aaaah, now thats a key piece of info:thu:

Cheers man, that allied with the maple and the pickups should be the sum of a Rick then......hmmm, wonder if I have to go into the workshop and do it meself:idea:

The Rockinbetter seems to tick quite a few boxes at a good price in that case

Archived