The "Other" CCR?

mlwarriner

• Members

What can you tell me about Cross Canadian Ragweed? Reckless Kelly?

Got an email from a singer/songwriter/guitarist about getting with his Texas Outlaw band (Yes, Thrustin, I play a five string bass. Occasionally a six-string too :D:D ) but know nothing about the genre.

• Members

What do you want to know?

I find Ragweed (they'll never be CCR in my mind, CCRW if at all) okay, and their older stuff is far better than today's. Get Reckless's 'the Sugarhill Years' or 'Under The Table', that's mandatory!

Others to mention are Micky and the Motorcars (2 mor Braun brothers along with the 2 in Reckless), Jack Ingram's 'Hey You', Pat Green's 'Carry On' or 'George's Bar' and Chris Knight's self titled.

Those are really good primers to an excellent, underrated genre.

• Members

i got hit up to come audition for a band that does "texas outlaw" music. i'm highly un-familiar with the genre, but curious. curious as to a basis for comparison, something i've heard before that i could compare "texas outlaw" or CCR(W) to.

i checked some of CCR(W)'s stuff online, and reckless kelly too. not bad, not bad at all.

i hit the guy up, asked for some of his own stuff (they're a covers/originals band i guess). we'll see where it goes from here.

• Members

What do you want to know?

I find Ragweed (they'll never be CCR in my mind, CCRW if at all) okay, and their older stuff is far better than today's. Get Reckless's 'the Sugarhill Years' or 'Under The Table', that's mandatory!

Others to mention are Micky and the Motorcars (2 mor Braun brothers along with the 2 in Reckless), Jack Ingram's 'Hey You', Pat Green's 'Carry On' or 'George's Bar' and Chris Knight's self titled.

Those are really good primers to an excellent, underrated genre.

Hey, you left off the Robert Donahue Band!:mad: Just kidding. That is the Texas Country band I am in. Texas Country is more rock and roll than country. It just has a little country twang added to the rock.

• Members

Hey, you left off the Robert Donahue Band!
:mad:
Just kidding. That is the Texas Country band I am in. Texas Country is more rock and roll than country. It just has a little country twang added to the rock.

Y'know, I coulda said Jason Andrew Carrell band too if I wanted to plug a good Texas Country band :poke: ;)

BTW, I'm at LAW Plano tonite.

• Members

I'm pretty big into the scene.

It has good and bad parts of it, just like all of them. Lots of "meh" types but lots of good ones too.

CCRW is more southern rock now than country, but they're a big name in the genre so it keeps it alive. I class them more with Reckless Kelly (who I freaking love) and Micky and the Motorcars and Eli Young Band as opposed to guys like Randy Rogers Band, Kevin Folwer, Jason Boland, etc., who are a little more "traditional" in their compositions and songs but still have that rock edge.

It's a blast. The shows always or close to sell out, tickets are cheap, hot Texas chicks everywhere and everyone's got a beer or three and having a blast.

Not a bad way to live.

But on CCRW, I'm a Jeremy disciple. I've probably seen them 20 times and have everything pretty much every done by them, including any and all bootlegs currently available. :) He himself is a Pattitucci and Jaco fiend and it comes across in his playing. He's a good 100x better than just about anyone else on the scene.

I remember first seeing him and he used to exclusively play fretless Dean 6 strings and had/has about the best fretless intonation I've ever heard/seen from a player- and this is stoned out of his gourd and drunk as {censored}. No lie. :thu:

• Members

hmm. sounds like it could be fun.

the guy who contacted me is booked up through the next couple/few months, including an opening spot for CCR(W).

meh. i'll talk to him some more, see how it plays out from there.

Where's the show? I've only seen Cross once in 2009 so I'm behind. :)

I would have stuck with the genre as far as playing it goes, but as I said it's tough to find anyone who sounds "like them", if that makes sense. Doesn't mean the songs aren't good, just some of it can at times drag together. Plus TBH, I like listening to it/attending shows too much to get into the business aspect of it all and that {censored} it up for me. :)

Cory Morrow is another huge fave.

And IMO "Wicked Twisted Road" is like my freaking favorite acoustic song evar. By Reckless Kelly.

• Members

Y'know, I coulda said Jason Andrew Carrell band too if I wanted to plug a
good
Texas Country band :poke:
;)

BTW, I'm at LAW Plano tonite.

Ouch, that's f*%$ed up.:cry: What is LAW? You guys have a website? If I can I will come by tonight.:thu:

• Members

I'm pretty big into the scene.

It has good and bad parts of it, just like all of them. Lots of "meh" types but lots of good ones too.

CCRW is more southern rock now than country, but they're a big name in the genre so it keeps it alive. I class them more with Reckless Kelly (who I freaking love) and Micky and the Motorcars and Eli Young Band as opposed to guys like Randy Rogers Band, Kevin Folwer, Jason Boland, etc., who are a little more "traditional" in their compositions and songs but still have that rock edge.

It's a blast. The shows always or close to sell out, tickets are cheap, hot Texas chicks everywhere and everyone's got a beer or three and having a blast.

:

Not a bad way to live.

But on CCRW, I'm a Jeremy disciple. I've probably seen them 20 times and have everything pretty much every done by them, including any and all bootlegs currently available.
:)
He himself is a Pattitucci and Jaco fiend and it comes across in his playing. He's a good 100x better than just about anyone else on the scene.

I remember first seeing him and he used to exclusively play fretless Dean 6 strings and had/has about the best fretless intonation I've ever heard/seen from a player- and this is stoned out of his gourd and drunk as {censored}. No lie.
:thu:

We have opened for Eli Young, Kevin Fowler, and Randy Rogers. All are a bunch of nice guys. They definitely like to drink. I hung out with Jon, the bass player in Eli Young, on the tour bus at Wolf Dance last year talking shop. He was a helluva nice guy. They had this big tour bus and the he wanted to go see our bus, an old ass flat black bago. It was funny.:lol::lol

• Members

We have opened for Eli Young, Kevin Fowler, and Randy Rogers. All are a bunch of nice guys. They definitely like to drink. I hung out with Jon, the bass player in Eli Young, on the tour bus at Wolf Dance last year talking shop. He was a helluva nice guy. They had this big tour bus and the he wanted to go see our bus, an old ass flat black bago. It was funny.
:lol:
:lol

Hahaha, yeah EYB is definitely moving up there. Their newest CD is pretty sweet.

Man if/when you see him next, ask him about that sick Elrick 5 NT he plays!! I wonder how a guy in that genre could have such good taste!! :love::love:

• Members

Hahaha, yeah EYB is definitely moving up there. Their newest CD is pretty sweet.

Man if/when you see him next, ask him about that sick Elrick 5 NT he plays!! I wonder how a guy in that genre could have such good taste!!
:love:
:love:

Funny thing is, that is what our conversation started about. I asked him how he liked his 5 banger and said" come on over and check it out." I am not much of a 5 banger person but it is a pretty sweet bass. I am hoping one day they call us and ask us to open for them now that htey are soo popular. It would be great exposure.

• Members

Funny thing is, that is what our conversation started about. I asked him how he liked his 5 banger and said" come on over and check it out." I am not much of a 5 banger person but it is a pretty sweet bass. I am hoping one day they call us and ask us to open for them now that htey are soo popular. It would be great exposure.

Yeah those Elrick's are something else. I remember the first time I saw them he was rockin' that through his Aguilar and SWR rig, and I was like "Wow, now that's some nice gear to throw around in the trailer and play out in the Texas heat!"

• Members

Ooh, OK. I know of that place. I need to get us a gig there.:poke: What time do you go on?

We go on at 7:30, but I'm playing lead. If you're thinking of coming out, I'd rather it be a full band gig where I'm on bass, not a mid-week acoustic gig.

I'll post up a Gig Spam thread for our next show. (aside: I love the fact that we only play when we want to, where we want to.)

• Members

I love this genre. My band ghostowne has opened for for Cross Canadian Ragweed, Reckless Kelly, Stoney Larue and the Drive By Truckers. Stoney was kind of a dick to our band though. I think he was just really tired though.

I think you'll love it.

Yeah there's been a few times I've tried to talk to Cody or one of those guys and they seem kinda miffed about it, but they pretty much tour constantly all year, every year except when they make a record, so I allow it most times. :)

Randy's band has been the coolest thus far.

We hung out with Randy himself a while before a show a while back. He's an awesome cat.

• Members

Yeah there's been a few times I've tried to talk to Cody or one of those guys and they seem kinda miffed about it, but they pretty much tour constantly all year, every year except when they make a record, so I allow it most times.

Randy's band has been the coolest thus far.

We hung out with Randy himself a while before a show a while back. He's an awesome cat.

Yeah, we hung out drinking until 5 a.m. with Randy and his band after the show in Gun Barrell City where we opened for them the first time.

Archived