Gig without IEMs

burdizzos

• Members

So last night we played a huge room with another band and they offered to run sound because their PA is significantly larger than ours. Fine by me, it saves wear on our gear.

One downside was that I had to run through an Ampeg B4R into an Ampeg 6x10 and depend on standard wedges for monitors.

The bass sounded like {censored}. It was all right in the house since I was going Pre-EQ DI, but on stage it was horrible. I {censored}ing hate Ampeg's solid state amps. I probably could have dialed a better sound out of it, but I didn't want tmess wit the other guy's settings too much, so I just bypassed the Smile shaped graphic EQ.

The big downside of this gig was that the stage volume was stupid loud. This was the first time I have left the stage with my ears ringing in a long {censored}ing time. Then we had to sit and watch the other band for two hours before we could break down our {censored} and load out.

If we don't get booked back at that place as a result of this charity gig bull{censored}, I'm going to be {censored}ing pissed.

Tonight, I will be back to playing with IEMs and it will be the first gig with my new customs molds.

I had forgotten how exhausting it is to play on a loud stage. That {censored} just beats the hell out of you.

• Members

We have a gig this Sat w/ our full setup. :)

Allegedly, they're "good" about stage volume as they face the cabs side-firing and just mic up.

However, we are talking about my rig, a Genz Blue Diablo+Line 6 412 cab, Triaxis-> Stereo 2:90+Recto 412+Genz 212 and drums here... ;)

• Members

Absolutely! A good stage setup with regular monitors and backline can result is a reasonable volume level that doesn't result in ringing ears. This was a different situation altogether.

There's a club in town that has these POS monitor wedges that the soundman insists on putting guitars and vocals through at 900,000dB. I've asked him to turn them down and he turns them down to 899,000dB, so the song after that I'd tell him to just turn the {censored}ing things off. I'd rather not hear anything and play like {censored} because of it, then have to endure that racket for 50 minutes.

This is the same soundman that insisted that I not side-fire my rig because "it looks weird.":rolleyes:

C7

• Members

While I agree that excessive stage volume is not a good thing in any way, I will also state that it wouldn't have gone down that way with either of my bands... Here's what *we* would've done:

Even when using another band's backline, we still bring our amps, and just use their cabs - that way, we can change anything we like w/out messing up the other band... We would have the soundguy take everything but vocals out of the front wedges, and play at our normal volumes - and been just fine... Both my current bands are 1 guitar bands, with a halfstack being used - and I typically play through a 610, so we don't need(nor want) to be in any monitors except the drummer's...

In that situation, and having an Ampeg 610 to play through, I would've been good to go... and I've forced the issue of gigging and rehearsing at the same levels in any band I'm in for awhile now - reasonable volumes that don't require hearing protection to avoid ringing or white noise afterwards, but still loud enough for rock and metal... That way, when we have to start up w/out a soundcheck, we're still pretty close to having a great stage mix right out the gate - and make things easier for the sound people, too...

Since taking this approach, *most* of the time PA difficulties are a thing of the past...

- georgestrings

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

{censored}, we played a gig last night at a place with a great house system and a better than average monitor setup. JBL Eon 15s for everyone with their own mix.

Even with that, I still couldn't hear my vox anywhere near as well as I can with the IEMs. With the drums not behind a screen, there is no way to get those monitors loud enough to provide a good monitor mix without taking my head off.

I'm looking forward to next weekend's {censored} hole gig because I will be able to hear myself again without going deaf. Next time we play that joint, I'm bringing in the rack so we can use out IEMs.

On the upside, we finally got around to rocking Sexyback. That {censored} was funny.

Archived