Death Metal Bass Playing

DeathSBG

• Members

I've always loved death metal, but only recently have been inspired by some interviews i watched of Alex Webster to try and play it on bass.

Besides building my speed up (I'm still not quite there to do the faster stuff) what techniques can you recomend that i can use to help get the blood pumping and my fingers moving? I'm also really struggling with trying to come up with heavy sounding bass lines, any suggestions here would be nice.

The only thing I'm really trying to do different (besides just play classic death metal bass) is to slow it up a bit on parts and create a dynamic in the riffs. I think this would have more meaning in a band context than me playing alone, but that will come soon enough ;)

All of this only applies to fellow fans of death metal, i know its not everyones cup of tea so i dont expect everyone to chime in with great advice. I just hope this forum isnt full of old guys who just play jazz :lol:

• Members

This is Bassius' exercise....

extend both arms out in front and face your palms downwards, and lock your elbows. Bring both both hands up so your palms are facing out. fully open extend your fingers hard then clench them into a fist hard. Repeat. It will help build stamina and strength.

to get the blood pumping and loosened up, go play basketball or some kind of sport.

• Members

I think there may be one or two guys on here into metal of some kind. Not sure. :idk:

Webster is awesome. Also be sure to check out Steve DiGiorgio (I'm sure you already have, I'm just sayin').

What kind of bass gear do you have?

• Members

I likee teh metalz...I've found that when playing metal, less is often much more. Finding a part that is both complimentary and un-invasive is a tall task, and most of the time I'll end up deferring to the guitar lines in the interest of making things as heavy and solid as possible.

• Members

Actually Death Metal is quite cheery.:lol: I on many occassions even listen to Doom Metal for relaxation.:) It can be quite calming. I especially listen to it after one of our shows. I play Texas Country but do not listen to it. As soon as I leave a show I listen to death or doom metal to relax and recover.:lol:

• Members

I've always loved death metal, but only recently have been inspired by some interviews i watched of Alex Webster to try and play it on bass.

Besides building my speed up (I'm still not quite there to do the faster stuff) what techniques can you recomend that i can use to help get the blood pumping and my fingers moving? I'm also really struggling with trying to come up with heavy sounding bass lines, any suggestions here would be nice.

The only thing I'm really trying to do different (besides just play classic death metal bass) is to slow it up a bit on parts and create a dynamic in the riffs. I think this would have more meaning in a band context than me playing alone, but that will come soon enough
;)

All of this only applies to fellow fans of death metal, i know its not everyones cup of tea so i dont expect everyone to chime in with great advice. I just hope this forum isnt full of old guys who just play jazz
:lol:

actually the jazz guys are the ones you want to talk to, as they will be the best at helping you achieve what you are looking for.

Technical death metal is very much like jazz imo.

• Members

My old dethmetal routine was

Pick

Heavy compression

Noise gate

More compression

Lots of EQ

Pick

The problem with most death metal is the amount of Bass the guitars have which walks all over you. Get locked into the bass drum and rock on.All the fancy noodling just goes un heard with the sonics of the average deathmetal band to begin with.

• Members

Actually Death Metal is quite cheery.
I on many occassions even listen to Doom Metal for relation.
:)
It can be quite calming. I especially listen to it after one of our shows. I play Texas Country but do not listen to it. As soon as I leave a show I listen to death or doom metal to relax and recover.

+huge to this.

I don't understand why people think heavy music is about being all angry and whatnot (besides the lyrics... ;)). It does the opposite to me. I really don't think I get a bigger smile on my face than when I pop in a Pantera record and just let it rip. :)

• Members

Technical death metal is very much like jazz imo.

Having played both technical metal and jazz, I have to disagree. They are alike in the sense that if you go with the "If it sounds good, it IS good" rule, it will work, but the idioms are very different to me :)

• Members

Having played technical metal for years and I'm currently studying jazz, I have to disagree. They are alike in the sense that if you go with the "If it sounds good, it IS good" rule, it will work.
:)

true dat! I was more speaking on the theory portion and execution in a song.

• Members

METALOCALYPSE!

Pretty much exactly my hand placement and technique. I never noticed how closely my physical playing resembles his.

Hmm.

I must study up on his works, to see how else we share similarities.... maybe learn a trick or two.

But those three-finger gallops are pretty much spot on. Iced Earth, Death, Iron Maiden, Slayer, Believer, Mercyful Fate, Manticora.... yup!

• Members

I wouldn't be too concerned because you cant hear the bass that much in death metal anyways! lol!!!!!!!! J/K! The only way to build speed and endurance is to train for it. Put on some songs and practice keeping up. Over time you'll find that you'll be going right along with the song.

Archived