Question about Hofner Basses..

newbassdude

• Members

I have been playing piano for about 10 years now, but when it comes to basses I am completely new. I was looking to invest some money into one of the Hofner replicas to self-teach myself the bass. I have been doing some research and reading reviews, and I'm stuck between two of them:

Hofner Icon Series Vintage Violin Bass

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend....ass?sku=511788

and

Hofner Icon B Electric Bass

http://www.zzounds.com/item--HOFICONBB

The prices appear to be pretty close, but what is the difference between the two? Any comments would be helpful, Thanks!

• Members

These basses are hollowbodied. They're going to have a very open sound, but potential for a deep, awesome fundamental. To check out some of their sounds, listen to the earlier beatles recordings, and some stuff that Joe Lally does.

For a first bass, I'd vote get what feels right and makes sound. The necks on these are VERY small. You may find that it's not for you. That's the reason I don't own one.

• Members

They are the same bass. The higher price includes a case.

As Rob said, The Icon and the Icon B-Bass are the same instrument. It's a entry level instrument that's 100% made in China. It's a true semi-acoustic body, while the HCT500/1 (Contemporary) isn't. It has a solid block of wood running the length of the body that attached to the underside of the top of the body. The block adds string sustain which gives the bass a more modern sound compared to the Icon B-Bass.

If you're looking for that true Hofner look, then buy a Contemporary HCT500/1 because it's identical in appearance to its German made 500/1v63 counterpart. If that isn't important to you, buy a Icon B-Bass.

TD

Archived