Looking for a bass

gatogordo

• Members

I am looking for an inexpensive neck thru 4 string. I saw an ESP LTD for around $500, that would be my budget. This would be my first bass. I have noodled with them for years, I have been playing guitar for over 20 years. This would be for Praise and Worship, and the classic rock I play.

Thanks

• Members

Is there a reason you're wanting a neck-through? There are plenty of nice basses for $500, but not all are neck-through.

The Yamaha BB and RBX series are nice.

MIM Fender J or P can be nice... Play a few.

Ibanez ATK and Jet King (looks killer, but I've never played it)

Peavey Grind

Yamaha RBX

My favorite of that list is the Yamaha BB614. Plays real well and sounds killer.

I've kind of fallen out of love with Schecter and ESP over the years. Must be getting old. Hah.

• Members

My favorite of that list is the Yamaha BB614. Plays real well and sounds killer.

I've kind of fallen out of love with Schecter and ESP over the years. Must be getting old. Hah.

I love my BB614. Yamaha basses are very underated and not given enough love on this forum:mad:

• Members

I don't have to have a neck-thru, I assumed that sustain was better with it being neck-thru(sorry may be a newb thought there).

I was looking at the ESP B series.

Another newb question. All the 5 strings I have played have the B string at the top. Is that the way it always is or can it be like a guitar. I ASSUME it is whatever you like. It would be more like a guitar with EADGB????

• Members

I don't have to have a neck-thru, I assumed that sustain was better with it being neck-thru(sorry may be a newb thought there).

Another newb question. All the 5 strings I have played have the B string at the top. Is that the way it always is or can it be like a guitar. I ASSUME it is whatever you like. It would be more like a guitar with EADGB????

Close, it would be EADGC not B. Guitarists alter the tuning to make it easier to chord. Bassists follow the rules better I guess. :D

Few basses come stock this way, but it's not a hugely uncommon mod. It's the high string on a 6 string bass.

• Members

Neck thru will sustain better depending on build quality and wood, but IMO it's not all that noticeable. From what I've noticed in this price range, basses that have a higher construction cost (neck-thru) tend to cut costs in other areas (usually electronics)... Folks may have other opinions, but that's my hunch, anyway.

The Schecter Hellcat bass is strung like a guitar and is a 6 string. Fun to play too.

• Members

Neck thru will sustain better depending on build quality and wood, but IMO it's not all that noticeable. From what I've noticed in this price range, basses that have a higher construction cost (neck-thru) tend to cut costs in other areas (usually electronics)... Folks may have other opinions, but that's my hunch, anyway.

That about sums it up...but I'll add that a well built bolt on will be just as good as anything else.

I'd put my Modulus up against anything in the sustain department...it's like a piano. It's a bolt on...

Archived