Gigging with other's gear

Thunderbroom

• Members

Why would you want something that you hate?

Because I don't think an SVT is complete without the 8x10, upon which this particular one was not sitting, unfortunately.

I'd like to give it a fair shake!

Oh, and because everyone else likes them.;)

• Members

Because I don't think an SVT is complete without the 8x10, upon which this particular one was not sitting, unfortunately.

Oh, and because everyone else likes them.
;)

Oh OK..what was it sitting on? Seriously I'd love to throw a Bergantino 610 under my Ampeg V4B:love:

• Members

I'm personally a fan of Ampeg. Some diss em', but I love em'.

Every time i've filled in for a band when they needed a bassist (although i'm a guitarist), i've always borrowed my buddy's SVT classic and 8x10. Worked out GREAT every time. Very loud, and full sounding. Lots of low end. Loved it.

• Members

I've actually never gigged my own amp. Backline has always been provided.

I've played on mostly Ampeg, SWR, Peavey and Ashdown on these gigs, and never really was impressed with any of it. The best-sounding amp I've tried still is my own EBS-combo, which I will be trying out on my new band's next gig. :)

• Members

;)

I don't like the 810 cab one bit, so I have to disagree with you here. The last few backline rigs I've used have been adequate, but I much prefer using my own stuff. I've had a lot of other guys playing through my rig who liked it quite a bit, though!

• Members

I was just talking about something like this the other day. The bassist in my band has a Crate 2x15 that he is talking about adding to his rig. It reminded me of playing a backlined gig a few years ago. I was on bass at the time; it was just at the end of my days with the Fender BXR300C, before I got my mesa rig. Anyways, the gig had some Crate head pushing a Crate 2x15 and a Hartke 4x10. For some reason, it was dialed in perfectly for my bass and it really thumped. I should have learned right there that you don't have to sink a decent used car's worth into your bass rig. :facepalm:

• Members

That's funny, the first time I plugged into an SVT/810 rig I thought 'I thought these things were supposed to be loud'

There was clearly something wrong with it. ;)

Seriously, I've been doing this for 20+ years and the only amp I've ever used that is always loud enough is my SVT. And I've owned and used a lot of stuff over the years.

That being said, I have encountered a few SVT-CLs that wouldn't get all that loud. I never got to investigate why that was though.

• Members

If theyre offering, why not. Its a lot easier than hauling around your gear. The only problem i could foresee is if you youre rig produces a sound that you need that theirs doesnt

I'll take a stab at that - more often than not, you don't get a soundcheck in multi-band bills - so it's FAR easier to start off with a good stage mix if you're playing your own gear - both for volume and tonal qualities... Sure, I can get it in the ballpark right quick, but that still isn't quite the same - and takes away from your performance for the 1st song or two... Also, I tend to like the way my gear sounds - otherwise, I wouldn't have bought it in the 1st place...

I played an out of town, backline provided gig a month and a half ago, and the rig I had to play on was a Hartke 3500 and a pair of their 410s - frankly, compared to my rig, it sucked... That's the way it goes, sometimes - we were only playing one set, and spending the night there - so it made sense to play the other guy's rig... Even though I hated it, and thought it sucked - I made a point of thanking the guy for letting me use his gear - anything else would've been low class...

- georgestrings

• Members

I'd gig with a club back line provided I was familiar with the gear. I' still bring my own head and a cab as back-up.

I've been in situations where had I tried to use my own rig, it would've made me look to be uncooperative - and wouldn't help my band in any way with the venue or promoter... So, I did what I had to do, and made it work...

- georgestrings

• Members

I've been in situations where had I tried to use my own rig, it would've made me look to be uncooperative - and wouldn't help my band in any way with the venue or promoter... So, I did what I had to do, and made it work...

- georgestrings

Yep. Especially things like all-day shows. There might be a dozen bands, these things always run behind schedule as it is, and you've only got a few minutes changeover between bands.

• Members

Yep. Especially things like all-day shows. There might be a dozen bands, these things always run behind schedule as it is, and you've only got a few minutes changeover between bands.

I've played a couple festival-type shows. The last one I played required us to use our own amps. That was a PITA. We did play on schedule, though.

Archived