Bass strings on a guitar

scurvydog

• Members

Anyone know if it's possible to string a regular guitar with bass strings? I mean I know you could but would it last (tension wise) and then what would the result be?

I saw a Goldfinger video where the bassist used a 12 string guitar with just the 4 bass strings on it. It sounds normal so I wonder why other than the look.

• Members

Ok, would it endanger the neck though or ruin the guitar for normal use?

As long as you don't try and tune it to normal guitar tuning I can't see why it would.

I can't see it sounding any good either. Scale length on a guitar being only 25" or something, plus all the hassle getting the strings in the bridge, and filing the nut.... :freak:

• Members

Ah, yes, the bridge and nut. Hadn't thought of that. Is there a 12 string bass? Maybe that's what he used. It looked the size of a guitar but with all the changes to be made it seems pointless. Although, if you get your guitars for free, I guess screwing one up isn't such a big deal.

• Members

Il would involve replacing the bridge, tuners, filing the nut and tuning way higher than the range of bass to compensate for shorter scale. POTUSA use only 2 strings on their thing.

It would also be completely useless and unpractical. Why the hell?

Archived