18" cabs?

darryl2112

• Members

hello all. tried searching the forum for anything on this subject but couldn't find anything. I'm am putting a bass rig together for the bass player (originally a guitar player) in our band. Trying to be ass effective with my money as possible. Here is what I am gonna go with...Musicmaster bass >bass eq or dI>5150 head>trace elliot 18" cab. Never played through an 18" before, never really seen anyone who has. I am wondering if an 18 wouldn't be very effective in this situation by itself, we got 2 loud guitars and a loud drummer, I am worried that 1 18" by itself would be nothing but mud and sub bass. I really don't like 4X10 cabs and 1 15 wouldn't really be enough I wouldn't think. If anyone out there has experience playing through 18" cabs and could tell me what to expect I would greatly appreciate it.

• Moderators

In general 1x18s aren't used very often. One of the reasons is because they don't typically make great stand alone cabs as they become very directional in their polar response in the middle of some critical to electric bass frequencies. Another is they are large and so are their cabinets. For PA installations it might make sense to have a sub with 18s (though recent technology has moved away from using 18s at all), but it rarely makes a good portable solution.

You might want to look into some 2x12 or 4x12 cabinets. A 2x15 or 2 1x15s might work as well. I'd skip the 18" unless you've played it and know you like it.

• Members

A few guys play with the Meyer 655 or whatever they're called 218 subs as part of their backlines.

Stefan Lessard comes to mind (he used to) and Mike Gordon, but that's for, whatever reasons I guess. :)

Just sound reinforcement on stage.

• Members

I used an 18" for awhile, but along with an 810. I loved the 18" with the other cab, but not by itself.

You don't need 8 X 10 neccessarily, but at least a couple of 10's on top would probably be a good idea.

I've read in the Sunn Unofficial Website threads that A second 1X18 cab doesn't really add very much to a first.

If you don't mind hauling around gargantuan sized cabs for kick A-- bass maybe consider this instead:

[deleted, possible malware site]

• Members

A few guys play with the Meyer 655 or whatever they're called 218 subs as part of their backlines.

Stefan Lessard comes to mind (he used to) and Mike Gordon, but that's for, whatever reasons I guess.
:)
Just sound reinforcement on stage.

That rig always seemed weird to me. I only read about it, never got a chance to see DMB when he was still using that. I think he was still using that on the Listener Supported DVD, but I'm sure that recording was mostly (if not totally) direct.

• Members

That rig always seemed weird to me. I only read about it, never got a chance to see DMB when he was still using that. I think he was still using that on the Listener Supported DVD, but I'm sure that recording was mostly (if not totally) direct.

Yeah he has it still on the Listener Supported DVD as well as the Live at Folsom Field one.

He has some sort of condenser mic on it for the L.S. DVD, but that could just be a prop... If I had 3 API 512b pres as well as the rest of his {censored} including the Eventide and other Meyer Sound processing gear, I doubt I'd be miking a 218 sub... ;)

On the Folsom Field one he had switched to his SWR Grand Prix x4 setup but still using the Meyer cabs.

I think The CPC was the first with his Ampeg rig.

Archived