Dave Koz + Pat Metheny

walkerci

• Members

My tastes tend to run towards to dark/gritty/dissonant side of the spectrum a lot of the time (Velvet Underground, Pere Ubu, Minor Threat, Patti Smith, Neurosis, etc.) but.........

I've been a huge fan of Metheny's for a long time. Particularly from the "American Garage" to "Offramp" era. I saw him a bunch of times, mostly in the late 80's and early 90's (even worked stage crew for a few shows), and believe me, some of those performances were absolutely incredible. As passionate and "from the gut" as any Fugazi gig (and I LOVE Fugazi), but coupled with simply mind boggling technical mastery. It didn't hurt that "the band" included Lyle Mays, Steve Rodby, Nana Vasconcelos, Danny Gottlieb, etc.

The first time I saw him was interesting. I had a friend who was a "jazz guy". He played trombone (very well I might add), and was a complete music snob. He absolutely HATED rock music, and of course despised just about everything I liked. It was pretty much strictly classical and jazz for him. So he actually dragged me out to see Metheny. I knew nothing about him at the time but I liked to try new things. My friend insisted I go, so I agreed, and went there that night with an open mind and few expectations. Well. I was completely blown away. I was overcome with emotion at times - from instrumental music I had never heard before - I had no idea. And I was hooked. My life was literally changed that night, and I knew it.

My friend was trying to change my wicked ways. But it didn't work. It just expanded my horizons, rather than changing direction. I tried to help him in a similiar way by dragging him out to punk and heavy metal shows. But he wouldn't even try it. His loss. The good stuff comes from all sorts of music - sometimes it's Bad Brains, sometimes it's Emmylou Harris, sometimes it's Paquito D'Rivera, sometimes it's someone unknown guy playing on the street for change. And sometimes it's Pat Metheny.

The other odd thing with Metheny is his "Zero Tolerance for Silence" thing. For those of you who have never heard it, and who think you know Metheny as being "kinda light" music, you are in for a shock. Oddly for me, I'm not all that much of a fan of it, but it certainly is interesting that he went there.

• Members

Lately, I have been listening to Pat Metheny and Charlie Haden. Very cool!
:thu:

Yeah, what a great duo.

I have a few Methney albums. One is a duo of those two. Missouri Skyline. It is slow and reflective, but a nice soulful mellow album.

I am a big jazz fan. I also listen to alsmost any music out there. I listen to some classsical. I always come back to jazz and blues. I have everything from Ravi Chankar to the Dead to Bill Monroe to Fugazi to Jimmy Hendrix to Mozart to the Cheiftains to Zappa to the BEatles . Its just all good for me.

Archived