Photography

ec437

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah? How much of your job? Do you know anything about printing large format stuff, whether on canvas or otherwise?

As far as the frequency, it depends on the week. Sometimes, I take photos every day, and other weeks I don't touch a camera.

As for printing, most of what I shoot gets used in out publications or on the web, so it's mostly printed small on four-color offset presses. What is your idea of "large"? My role is to prepare the files and send them off to a printer. Never done canvas.

• Members

How do you prepare the files? I'm assuming you shoot raw and manipulate them in PS? Then what, do you save as a JPG?

As far as "large", I meant size wise. Something like 10" or larger.

• Members

How do you prepare the files? I'm assuming you shoot raw and manipulate them in PS? Then what, do you save as a JPG?

As far as "large", I meant size wise. Something like 10" or larger.

My workflow depends on the project.

We do some photojournalism-type work that is shot in JPEG. It's stuff that just needs to get out and tweaking is minimal since they're often single-use photos.

If it's a scenic or "rural life" type shot, we shot in RAW, edit in Canon's Digital Photo Professional or Photoshop and then save out, usually as a JPEG, rarely as a TIFF, then send. Some projects get sent as PDF files, depending on the situation. Honestly, I try to get the photo right out of the camera and tweak as little as possible in photoshop. Photoshop is really part of my job I don't like messing with - I don't enjoy polishing turds.

When people talk about "large," 10" is still "small." I've done some 11" x 14" prints for personal work (ordered from Adorama) and at work we do a calendar that is printed at 9" x 14". We did a trade show display that was printed on 3 panels for a total of 100" by 90". I want to do some 20"+ prints on my personal work, but I've been rather lazy.

Just because I'm like this, here's a photo I took a month or so ago. Turned out well considering the other crap I got.

canola.jpg

Yes, I know the sunstar is centered, but I'm not going to put the really good stuff online. ;)

• Members

I know 10" is still small, but 10 MP is still a bit low-res to print at 100"x90"!

That image you posted looks like you used some set-up... polarization filter+light reflectors? What was the ISO/exposure/aperature?

loki: what kind of printing do you do?

• Members

Here's a mediocre one I took last week. No editing, cause I don't have PS :(

n98301555_30747296_3547757.jpg

And a favorite from several years ago:

n98301555_30481158_291.jpg

Unfortunately the best I can do for a camera at this point is my old, mildly abused Rebel XT with a polarization filter and the standard lens. I'd love to get something nicer someday.

• Members

I know 10" is still small, but 10 MP is still a bit low-res to print at 100"x90"!

That image you posted looks like you used some set-up... polarization filter+light reflectors? What was the ISO/exposure/aperature?

10mp is a bit low to give you 300dpi at 100" wide, but when you are printing large there is also the factor of viewing distance - sure if you view it up close it will be a feast of obvious pixels, but to see the whole image you are going to be standing back far enough that the quality is pretty much bang on.

a billboard for example is usually only around a 2mp image, but because you only ever view them from 10m away the quality is fine...

The flower shot - shot into the sun flower lit by flash?

my stuff is at www.flickr.com/photos/narcoynthesis if anyone would care to have a looksy :)

I am an amateur and shooting mostly for my own amusement, though I did manage to get 'photographer of the year' at my uni photo society :cool:

• Members

The 100 x 90-inch display was from an up-rezzed 8mp image. It had to go to the company at around 100 dpi, so it was up-sampled in Photoshop. As Narco said, viewing distance is a major consideration when trying to figure out resolution. And you don't always need to be at a "perfect" 300 dpi. I've had printers tell me that when you get below 200 dpi is when they get worried. 300 is "optimal," but it really depends on what the actual printing method can resolve and if the printing surface will let all the detail transmit optimally.

The canola shot had no circular polarizer, was shot at 16mm equivalent lit with two flashes. I forget what my exposure settings ended up being, but I can tell you it was 1/250sec shutter to stay within the flash sync speed, so my aperture was around f/22+

• Members

I did a Bachelor of arts in commercial photography, have done all sorts of stuff, but like 'IWLP' just do it as a side to my job these days (see my sig link for various bits n pieces in my folio). Studying it at Uni was enough to take away the love of it! I''ts only the last 2 years I've started to take pics for fun again.

www.photobucket.com/russellmurchie

I shoot 35mm and 120 film, but for work and gig stuff use an EOS20D (is that 8 or 10mp? no idea sorry, I use it but don't really know much about it).. All I'd say is don't get caught up in the whole 'Mega pixel' thing, most compacts are 12mp and up now, they still don't compare with a 8mp SLR for detail..

• Members

I've had photography as a hobby for a some years. I had to sell my 20d (which is a 8mp camera btw) and all my lenses a year and a half ago (cause it didn't see much use at the time, and a student really can't afford to have that much money tied into equipment one doesn't use). It's sorely missed, and I'll buy a 50d + some lenses (thinking of spending ~$3k on equipment) in a month when I'm going to the U.S on vacation.

IMG_0173_MODLarge.jpg

IMG_2568.jpg

As for getting info on exposure, aperture and such, I'd recommend getting an exif-viewer plugin for your web browser, which lets you see all that info.

I've rarely used Photoshop ever. I find taking pictures in RAW and crunching it through Lightroom is a much better way to get desired results, and it does wonders for ones workflow.

• Members

I like taking pictures. It is not at all part of my job, but just a hobby. I know nothing about printing large format either.

I will echo what IWLP said about getting the shot right from the start. I don't have photoshop and prefer to just set up the picture correctly from the start.

• Members

I have been shooting with Pentax K1000 since I was about 12 or 13 when my parents first bought it when it was new to the market.

I still have the K1000 that I copped from my Mom in the 80's when I bought he a little minolta :lol:

I now shot with a Pentax K100D with various lenses and a everyday Kodak Z612

• Members

I've had photography as a hobby for a some years. I had to sell my 20d (which is a 8mp camera btw) and all my lenses a year and a half ago (cause it didn't see much use at the time, and a student really can't afford to have that much money tied into equipment one doesn't use). It's sorely missed, and I'll buy a 50d + some lenses (thinking of spending ~$3k on equipment) in a month when I'm going to the U.S on vacation.

IMG_0173_MODLarge.jpg

As for getting info on exposure, aperture and such, I'd recommend getting an exif-viewer plugin for your web browser, which lets you see all that info.

I've rarely used Photoshop ever. I find taking pictures in RAW and crunching it through Lightroom is a much better way to get desired results, and it does wonders for ones workflow.

I like Lightroom too over PS....I am not too much into "altering" photos in PS as I am enhancing them in LR.

I thought I caught a great shot of a Bublebee yesterday till I saw yours! :mad:

Good job...:thu:

• Members

I like Lightroom too over PS....I am not too much into "altering" photos in PS as I am enhancing them in LR.

I thought I caught a great shot of a
Bublebee
yesterday till I saw yours!
:mad:

Good job...
:thu:

Is that some kinda cheesy lounge bee? :)

• Members

I'm looking at cameras right now, I want to buy something that I can shoot professional-quality pics with in diverse settings; I want something that can take great landscape shots as well as pictures of live performances.

I never imagined that lenses for SLR's were so pricey, so I figure on buying a used body and trying to get a lens that can handle most situations. Recommendations?

C7

• Members

I'm looking at cameras right now, I want to buy something that I can shoot professional-quality pics with in diverse settings; I want something that can take great landscape shots as well as pictures of live performances.

I never imagined that lenses for SLR's were so pricey, so I figure on buying a used body and trying to get a lens that can handle most situations. Recommendations?

C7

All SLR's let you take professional-looking pictures (remember, it's the photograph taking the pictures, not the camera). The differences is what you would like to GET out of the camera.

I'm a Canon-guy, so I'll just use an example from my experience.

I bought a 350d (Rebel XT for you guys), which was great. After a while I started to notice the limitations of this camera (at that time I used to take a lot of pictures of things in motion), namely the autofocus, exposurerate, noise at higher ISO-values and the buffer (which limits how many pictures one can take in a row before the camera has to "wait" in order to transfer the pictures to the CF-card). Higher rate of exposure (how many pictures the camera can take pr. second) and bigger buffer means you've got a higher chance of getting the picture you want from a session in a limited timespace.

So, I upgraded to a 20d, and I loved it. That's namely why I'm opting for a 50d now. Anyhoo, your best shot is choosing a monetary limit, going to a store, and testing out the cameras for yourself, to see which ones fit your hands best.

As to the optics: I have no idea as to what your budget is, but at the least I would go for the kitlens, and just compliment that with a moderate zoomlens in the 55-200 range (most kit lenses cover around 18-50), which you can get for 200$-ish (usually). On the other hand, I personally seldom use telezoomlenses, and if I were to start over again, I'd go for a wideanglelens (like 10-20mm) plus a Tamron 17-50 f/2,8 (which you can get for all the big brands, love that lens. It goes for ~350$-ish). That suits my bill perfectly at least.

Hope this helps a little.

Edit: Wideangle is really the best option for taking landscapepictures, and I would get a fast prime (like 50mm f/1.4 or 50mm f/1.2 ) for stageperformances. A lower f/x.x value means that the lens allows for more light reaching the sensor, and so means that you can take pictures with a lower shuttertime value, which, in turn, means that the pictures you take will be sharper (which is not always desireable, though).

Oh, and thanks for the compliments Rick N Backer !

• Members

C7

I like the Nikon D40 for a bang/buck camera.

• Members

C7

If you want to shoot some gig stuff, avoid zooms, they are way too slow, stick with some ultra fast slight tele lenses, 90% of my gig pics are taken with an 85mm 1.8, and NO FLASH..! I use a 20D, you can pick em up second hand really cheap. My next lens would be a 135mm 1.8 or 2 or whatever they make and a second body for it. I have a 17-40L f4 as well, its ok, but very slow.

was gonna link to some of my gig pics.. but.. just follow the photobucket link in my sig..

Archived