Using guitar effects for bass?

JimiRules

• Members

My band's rhythm guitar player recently moved over to playing bass and he wanted to get a bass distortion pedal and a bass wah. He has a distortion pedal and a wah for guitar already, can those be used for bass as well or won't they sound right?

Thanks!

• Members

Guitar effects are voiced for guitar frequencies. Some work with bass, others not.

A wah is essentially a big tone pot. I've tried a guitar wah (Morley) with bass, and it sucked the mids right out of my toanz... :(

• Members

depends on what distortion he got? i use a boss md-2, and im looking into getting a boss dynadrive.

but tell him to try it? as long as you keep the lows it should be ok.

as for the wah i use a bass crybaby and it wicked! i tried a normal crybaby but as the above post said it just took all the meat out of my tone made it a bit thin.

andy

• Members

depends on what distortion he got? i use a boss md-2, and im looking into getting a boss dynadrive.

as for the wah i use a bass crybaby and it wicked! i tried a normal crybaby but as the above post said it just took all the meat out of my tone made it a bit thin.

andy

• Members

My band's rhythm guitar player recently moved over to playing bass and he wanted to get a bass distortion pedal and a bass wah. He has a distortion pedal and a wah for guitar already, can those be used for bass as well or won't they sound right?

Thanks!

How did they sound when he tried them?

• Members

andy

For distortion he has a Marshall drivemaster, and for wah he has a normal crybaby.

• Members

How did they sound when he tried them?

He has yet to try them. He was originally going to get one of those bass digitech all in one deals with the wah and all the stuff included, but he emailed me this morning and told me he was leaning on just getting the individual pedals. I told him that he might be able to use whatever he already has for his guitar and save some cash.

• Members

For distortion he has a Marshall drivemaster, and for wah he has a normal crybaby.

the distortion looks fine, its got a nice eq on it so he can fiddle around a bit, the wah on the other hand, it wont hurt to try it? but i think a bass wah would probs be the way to go, there are cheaper alternatives to the dunlop, i got a morley dual bass wah for 35 quid on the bay, not my cup of tea but tbh it was better than the normal guitar crybay.

andy

• Members

I told him that he might be able to use whatever he already has for his guitar and save some cash.

He certainly can, whether it sounds good or not will be completely up to him.

Some guitar pedals work very well, others...not so much.

The majority of my board is made up of guitar based pedals. I've only owned a few bass specific pedals, and I've had a {censored} ton of pedals.

Archived