Rounds/Flats.. Tension?

Mr.Mow

• Members

Ok, so I've been trying the round wounds on my fretless and I don't like em (everything just ends up with that 'jaco' sound), so maybe I'll go try some flats..

I normally use 45-105s in rounds.. do I go for the same in flats? someone once told me that flats are much higher tension and you should go lower.. At the cost of nice flats I only wanna do this once!!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This is a quick fix in my opinion though, because you will lose some tone going to a lighter gauge of anything...but it helps with the decision making process untill you can get a certified quote from a certified tech on which standard (45-105) set of string will work best for your bass post set-up.

It's a catch-22 IME when it comes to flats...tone or tension?!?!?!?!?!?

• Members

I would go for the lightest gauge possible without going for TI's. It compensates for the switch somewhat from a heavy/med round set.

Actually good point.. I was going to go for Thomastik flats, looks like they only come in one gauge anyway?

• Members

Yeah, and they are $$$. I always liked the light gauge Fenders, despite what the gear dorks may say. Nicest flat I've tried and I have tried many in that price range. GHS are good to, IF you can get a light gauge. Trying out multiple lighter sets is easier on your neck, instead of diving head first into the neck warping world of high tensile bridge wire.

• Members

I would honestly say, don't listen to anything Sub5ound has to say on this issue. It's apparent to me from his posts that he doesn't really know what he's talking about.

The tension and flexibility depend on the manufacturer. If you like the gauge you use now, try the same gauge with the same brand, only in flatwound.

• Members

I would honestly say, don't listen to anything Sub5ound has to say on this issue. It's apparent to me from his posts that he doesn't really know what he's talking about.

The tension and flexibility depend on the manufacturer. If you like the gauge you use now, try the same gauge with the same brand, only in flatwound.

Have you been drinking?

• Moderators
Actually good point.. I was going to go for Thomastik flats, looks like they only come in one gauge anyway?

TI's are an exception to the general rule that flats have higher tension and less flexibility. They are one of my favorite flats, but I'm no flats connoisseur. :D The opposite end of the spectrum would be D'Addario Chromes - higher tension, less flexibility.

I don't like inflexible flats, not do I particularly like high tension, which is why I would go with TIs or a smaller gauge in a more typical flat.

• Moderators
This is a quick fix in my opinion though, because
you will lose some tone going to a lighter gauge of anything
...but it helps with the decision making process untill you can get
a certified quote from a certified tech on which standard (45-105) set of string will work best for your bass post set-up

It's a catch-22 IME when it comes to flats...tone or tension?!?!?!?!?!?

Huh? :confused:

• Members
TI's are an exception to the general rule that flats have higher tension and less flexibility. They are one of my favorite flats, but I'm no flats connoisseur.
:D
The opposite end of the spectrum would be D'Addario Chromes - higher tension, less flexibility.

I don't like inflexible flats, not do I particularly like high tension, which is why I would go with TIs or a smaller gauge in a more typical flat.

Yup. The TI's are like a control group for flats.

• Members

ok...I seem to not be good at this.

MY RECOMMENDATION FROM EXPERIENCE....ALOT OF IT INVOLVING THE TESTING OF FLATS, (NOT IN A LAB) IS THAT TO PRESERVE THE INTEGRITY OF YOUR NECK (READ: MAYBE NOT HAVE TO TWEAK) AND PLAYABILITY, START WITH A LIGHTER GAUGE OF FLATS.

Please explain to me why the average person should not consider this advice?

• Members

ok...I seem to not be good at this.

MY RECOMMENDATION FROM EXPERIENCE....ALOT OF IT INVOLVING THE TESTING OF FLATS, (NOT IN A LAB) IS THAT TO PRESERVE THE INTEGRITY OF YOUR NECK (READ: MAYBE NOT HAVE TO TWEAK) AND PLAYABILITY, START WITH A LIGHTER GAUGE OF FLATS.

Please explain to me why the average person should not consider this advice?

Because your bass neck should be able to accommodate your strings:confused:.

You say the TI's are too expensive but you want him to "start out" with a lighter gauge. He should honestly have an idea of whether or not he likes a flexible or lighter tension string or whether he likes a more stiff string. Once you make that determination, then you look for strings that fit that preference.

• Members

I like my mediumish D'addario flats. Don't think they're Chromes. I've had them for 2-3 years and they're exactly the same as they were when I got'em. Perfect for a practice beater bass.

Edit: They are fairly high tension, fairly stiff, almost no sustain (read: not much, I play a Steinberger with rounds as my main bass, and it's the opposite end of the spectrum). Very James Jamersonish, thumpy p-bass sounds.

• Members

The tone/tension part...wow. Just get it all out Will, you apparently have an issue.

I do have an issue with you talking out of your ass:lol:

if its your opinion, state it as such. Don't come and state things as you did and get surprised when someone counters your position.

• Members

Ok, so I've been trying the round wounds on my fretless and I don't like em (everything just ends up with that 'jaco' sound), so maybe I'll go try some flats..

I normally use 45-105s in rounds.. do I go for the same in flats? someone once told me that flats are much higher tension and you should go lower.. At the cost of nice flats I only wanna do this once!!

Anyway, back to the OP.

What kinds of strings do you like? Do you like flexible strings, do you like the gauge you have now? Is there a certain brand you prefer?

Normally flats tend to be a bit stiffer but there are a lot of different strings and a lot of different options.

Personally I love TI's and a lot of people do for a lot of different reasons (which should tell you how good they are:D). Yes they are expensive compared to some other strings, but considering they last for years, they aren't bad at all.

As far as gauge and flats and tone...you really need to experiment a bit to see what you like in a flatwound. Maybe you need to try a groundwound string? I think if you do a bit of research you will find narrow your choices down quite a bit.

• Members

I do have an issue with you talking out of your ass:lol:

if its your opinion, state it as such. Don't come and state things as you did and get surprised when someone counters your position.

Yeah...well, this is nice for a change. Dude, my posts NEVER said anything about them being the proven way of string experimentation. It is not quite like your Switzerland-esque approach to things, it's an OPINION. And it's called a Private Message. Do your service buddies share their love letters?

• Members

as well as your PM's....well they lead me to believe that you really don't understand the subject.

Oh and do I share PM's with my service buddies:confused:?

I personally found your PM pretty funny so I shared it.

Seriously, your opinion is that you don't like flats (or at least thats what I get from your posts), so why post in a thread like this?

Dan

Archived