Rounds/Flats.. Tension?

Mr.Mow

• Members

Because I DO like flats, and the OP had a question I thought I might be able to help with. I honestly can say I would not take your advice on flatwounds.
It's quite obvious from your posts that you have no idea what you are talking about. You are on a "kill sub5ound" trip tonight, apparently. I hope the OP takes no advice from this thread because it has taken a turn for the worst.

To the OP: I hope my advice/opinions (what else would they be? it's a public forum.) are helpfull.

WillSellOut is an experienced, dedicated and knowledgable source of technical bass guitar knowledge and I hope you consider his, as well as everyone else's opinion that may post. My posts were not based in scientifical analysis, nor what the latest theories are, but in experience. I hope nobody was offended.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Because I DO like flats, and the OP had a question I thought I might be able to help with. I honestly can say I would not take your advice on flatwounds.

Good thing you aren't asking for advice then:D

although I'm not sure what to make of the rest of your post. First you say

It's quite obvious from your posts that you have no idea what you are talking about. I hope the OP takes no advice from this thread because it has taken a turn for the worst.

Then you say:

I hope you consider his, as well as everyone else's opinion that may post.

To take advice or not to take advice, that is the question:D. OH and I'm not on any kind of trip tonight, there was simply a lot of weird {censored} going on in your posts.

• Members

To be honest, Will, you are being a nitpicky little beeotch. Sorry my reality does not fall step in line with yours. This is the kinda {censored} that gets noobs kicked off forums like the great HCBF. Some turdburgler jumps at the intacacies of anothers advice...dissecting, diluting, and distorting till it fits their lonely corner of cyberspace. Well looy here, someone with 18,00+ posts jumps down someone else's throat for encroaching on their supposed knowledge. Where does this bus stop, Will? You always seemed like a stand up guy. The wolf pack smells the {censored} on their tails...it follows closely. Grow up, big guy.

• Members

To be honest, Will, you are being a nitpicky little beeotch. Sorry my reality does not fall step in line with yours. This is the kinda {censored} that gets noobs kicked off forums like the great HCBF. Some turdburgler jumps at the intacacies of anothers advice...dissecting, diluting, and distorting till it fits their lonely corner of cyberspace. Well looy here, someone with 18,00+ posts jumps down someone else's throat for encroaching on their supposed knowledge. Where does this bus stop, Will? You always seemed like a stand up guy. The wolf pack smells the {censored} on their tails...it follows closely. Grow up, big guy.

Just because I called you out on your inconsistent posts doesn't mean I'm jumping down your throat. A lot of people read these forums and take advice as gospel a lot of the time and when you started talking about "Certified techs" and "certified setups" you lost me.

Your opinion is one thing but when you start posting questionable material you can't be pissed when someone calls you out on it. It's happened to me and its happened to many others on this very forum. You either accept it and learn or get pissed and tell people you hate them:D

I'm not sure what to make of your wolf analogy:confused:

• Members

Ok, so I've been trying the round wounds on my fretless and I don't like em (everything just ends up with that 'jaco' sound), so maybe I'll go try some flats..

I normally use 45-105s in rounds.. do I go for the same in flats? someone once told me that flats are much higher tension and you should go lower.. At the cost of nice flats I only wanna do this once!!

Unfortunately, when searching for "your" ideal string, it may take a few tries of different brands before you find it. You did not say whether you liked high or low tension. If it's the latter, then you should like the TI's. Yes, they are expensive.... initially, but as they last for years, they are worth it in the long run. You are going to get lots of different opinions here, and are just going to have to experiment in the end. You may be lucky first time.

• Members

Well there really isn't a right post here since the OP hasn't really expanded on his search(Hey Mow, where the F R U?).

I come off as a dick a lot on the web. I have horrible real life to internet communication skills.

Sorry dude hadda go home!! (significantly different time zone!!)

• Members
Anyway, back to the OP.

What kinds of strings do you like? Do you like flexible strings, do you like the gauge you have now? Is there a certain brand you prefer?

Normally flats tend to be a bit stiffer but there are a lot of different strings and a lot of different options.

Personally I love TI's and a lot of people do for a lot of different reasons (which should tell you how good they are:D). Yes they are expensive compared to some other strings, but considering they last for years, they aren't bad at all.

As far as gauge and flats and tone...you really need to experiment a bit to see what you like in a flatwound. Maybe you need to try a groundwound string? I think if you do a bit of research you will find narrow your choices down quite a bit.

Heres the tricky bit.. I'm not sure.. I use d'addario 45-105s on my Pbass and my Ric.. they feel perfect to me (I use em cos they are easy to get locally and fairly cheap.. but I've grown to like them), I had GHS flats on my SG (now gone) liked the feel (no idea what dimensions they were, but it was short scale anyway).

I like them to feel a bit snappy, kinda 'rubbery', give a little bit of fight.. {censored} I dunno!!:facepalm:

• Members
Heres the tricky bit.. I'm not sure.. I use d'addario 45-105s on my Pbass and my Ric.. they feel perfect to me (I use em cos they are easy to get locally and fairly cheap.. but I've grown to like them), I had GHS flats on my SG (now gone) liked the feel (no idea what dimensions they were, but it was short scale anyway).

I like them to feel a bit snappy, kinda 'rubbery', give a little bit of fight.. {censored} I dunno!!
:facepalm:

If 45-105 rounds are to your liking, then I would suggest starting out with the light Chromes 40-95 set. Those, in my experience, would be closest to the feel of your 45-105s.

Chromes fit your "snappy" description, while still being very much flats. Let them break in a few weeks on your bass before you come to a verdict.

TI Jazz Flats are unique. They elicit a love hate response because of this. Very low tension, very middy, very little "thump", which is generally what people come to flats for. If you like them, nothing else will do.

• Members

Where can I buy TI's ? Couldn't find anything matching, except from Thomastik Infield. Is that the right ones ? And how much do they usually cost ?

Yes. Thomastik Infeld are the ones. I get mine here. Cheapest euro price I could find. Check to see if they deliver to your country.

http://www.lordofthestrings.com/lots/RAPRD/Thomastik-JF344-Jazz-Flat/11001621.html

• Members

I find that I have to exert a little to much force on the strings to avoid fret buzz, in addition this hurts my wrist. Alot. I guess this could be the answer (the bass seems to be adjusted ok, but heck, I'm not a pro at this)?

• Members

I put the Steve Harris sig. Rotosounds on my Frankencision and had to crank the crap outa the truss rod (gently, yes, but there was lots of movement once the strings were on so there was lots to take back out) and still I haven't quite got the action as low as I'd like. I like to hear a little fret clank when I dig in and I'd be hard-pressed to bottom out these strings, between the tension and what relief is still in the neck. Definitely more tension on these slightly larger strings, no doubt about it. One thing I like: I spend an hour on these flats and when I go to any other bass I fly on the neck in comparison. "In comparison" being the qualifier. My fly might be your crawl.

I like 'em, I probably woulda been fine with a lighter gauge of Rotos. I like how they sound, though.

• Members

FWIW, I have three different brands of flats on three different basses.

'62 Jazz reissue: Webstrings medium gauge, .045 - .105 These have the most thump and are the least flexible of the three.

'90s MIJ acoustic/electric fretless P-bass: whatever was on the bass when I bought it three years ago. :D I'm pretty sure they're Rotosounds, also in .045 - .105 gauge. Pretty thumpy, but more flexible than the Webstrings.

Recent Danelectro long-scale bass: Fender stainless flats in .045 - .095 These are only a couple weeks old, and are still very bright. They're much less stiff, due to the gauge I suppose. I had to go with a lighter gauge than I usually play because the Dano has retarded guitar-style tuners, as opposed to real bass keys a la Kluson.

• Members

I have Rotosound Flats on my Jazz :eek: took me a the good part of the week to get the truss corrected, as it was completely flat. (following the guidline provided by Kindness and a few others of no more than a 1/4 turn a day). But yeah, I still don't like the feel of them. I am trying to like them, but maybe I just need to try out som different ones.

my SG (now gone) liked the feel (no idea what dimensions they were, but it was short scale anyway).

You sold that thing :eek: That thing WAS THE sex.

• Members
I had my TI's on my fretless 'Ray for darn near 4 years.

I hardly call that expensive.

How much did you spend on strings for a bass in the past four years?

I've seen people posting that they've had theirs on, still sounding great, for up to ten years. :eek:

• Members
I have Rotosound Flats on my Jazz
:eek:
took me a the good part of the week to get the truss corrected, as it was completely flat. (following the guidline provided by Kindness and a few others of no more than a 1/4 turn a day). But yeah, I still don't like the feel of them. I am trying to like them, but maybe I just need to try out som different ones.

You sold that thing
:eek:
That thing WAS THE sex.

It was a great bass, but the short scale was kinda throwing me off.. And I sort of had my eye on the Greco fretless I picked up, and had enough left over for the chance encounter 1967 Yamaha Bass I came across by accident! (and is short scale :facepalm:)

Back to the flats.. Someone gave me a set of Fender flats last night (they weren't using them).. eww.. hideous.. no spring, they just feel tense and nasty.

So.. I liked the labella black ones I tried on a bass, and I liked the GHS flats that were ona short scale.. so I'm not sure how that translates.. I DON'T like the Fender flats.

• Members

After playing TIs for several weeks on a Bongo 6, I can say that they're the best flats I've tried. They don't feel much (if any) stiffer than your typical roundwound, and they sound really good in a mix. I predict that they would be great on a fretless-I highly recommend them.

Archived