Battle of the Lightweights - SD800 vs. Shuttle 6.0

mlwarriner

• Members

if it were me , I'd have a tough time making a choice but I like "new" with warranty and I like Tubes so I am leaning to the GB on this deal .

Here's a thought , get the GB and if it doesn't work for you send it back . ;)

• Members

The Shuttle is very nice. I've never played the SD800. My LMII fits me better than the Shuttle.

What are you looking for out of your bass sound? What cab are you using?

My LMII's clean, balanced & even sound works great with the bark of my Berg HT112...because that's exactly the type of sound that works well for what I do. I want something that works with my looper as well as any processing I might do- clearly cut thru a mix.

• Members

The Shuttle is very nice. I've never played the SD800. My LMII fits me better than the Shuttle.

What are you looking for out of your bass sound? What cab are you using?

My LMII's clean, balanced & even sound works great with the bark of my Berg HT112...because that's exactly the type of sound that works well for what I do. I want something that works with my looper as well as any processing I might do- clearly cut thru a mix.

big full and round, with some grit. plays nice with FX. using a kappalite 1x15 and either a (soon to be) deltalite 2x12 or a 410SBX.

eventually considering a fEarful 1x12 or two.

• Members

big full and round, with some grit. plays nice with FX. using a kappalite 1x15 and either a (soon to be) deltalite 2x12 or a 410SBX.

eventually considering a fEarful 1x12 or two.

Are you looking for grit from your head? If so, the MB likely won't do it for you. The Shuttle might be a bit better, but it was more 'round' to my ears. If your grit is coming from a source other than your head, the MB would make it heard with greater clarity.

• Members

Are you looking for grit from your head? If so, the MB likely won't do it for you. The Shuttle might be a bit better, but it was more 'round' to my ears. If your grit is coming from a source other than your head, the MB would make it heard with greater clarity.

some head, some pedal.

and after further consideration, i'm pondering an 800RB. run a good bass cab off the lowside and a decent 2x12 guitar cab off the high side...

:facepalm:

• Members

Something to remember about GB is that their warranties tend to be transferable. So a used one is also the best deal you can get if it's got warranty left.

+1

Pertaining to warranty:

• GB is 3 years versus MB 2 years.

• GB is transferable, and I never could get a solid answer on that for MB. Which means one must trust whatever answer comes out of the GC salesman's mouth that day. Either way you WILL need the original receipt.

• GB is a small 100% USA company. When you call them, you will receive Vanlatte's much coveted "May I Help You?" greeting. The MB replacement policy at GC is really nice too. But what if GC stops carrying them for whatever reason? Unlikely, but who knows. And what if they don't have any in stock? Or what if their policy changes?

Pertaining to sound:

• IMO, MB has more usable clean headroom.

• GB has the ability to give you a good amount of grit from the tube preamp.

• IMO, both are very versatile with the edge going to MB. The MB has the ability to go from very hifi, to that vintage 2x15 rumble. No, it's not a Sunn 1200 on a 2x15. But considering the package it comes in, it does a pretty good job. In that respect, it should be able to cover almost any music genre you can throw at it.

• IMO, the GB doesn't have quite that range, but it's "tweakability" is a bit greater. In that respect, the GB could be a better recording head. And that's also not to say that MB wouldn't be good for recording... it's just a general thought from my observations.

Personally, I went with the Shuttle 6.0 for a couple reasons:

1.) The warranty. I wanted the longer GB warranty. I did not want to be bound to CG's warranty policy of the month. :rolleyes: And I don't think I've ever heard anything negative about GB customer service. :thu:

2.) I was able to haggle on the Shuttle's price.

Otherwise, I personally would have preferred the tone from the MB because I was looking for something that could cover more range. It's just that places like GC and MF scare the hell out of me when it comes time to get something fixed. And to be honest the differences in range of tones from each weren't that huge.

Archived