Boardgame appreciation thread

hi.flyer

• Members

Great game. I want to try it with the combined board, but every time my friends and I get together to play, there's too many people and we have to have two games going at once.

It usually takes just the right amount of time to play a game of Settlers. Never too long, never too short.

• Members

I've heard good things baout Settlers, just never played it.

My friends and I play Diplomacy every now and again, and I'm doing an email game of it now.

We also play DnD from time to time, so you;re in good (dorky) company :) We're actually switching to Pathfinder, from Paizo publishing, as "official" DnD released a new edition, and it sucks bawlz.

• Moderators

Axis and Allies (although it takes WAY to long to setup, and a huge time commitment)

I used to play in tournaments with expanded rule sets, probably about 500 pages of expanded rules, pieces, etc. That was the nerdiest of all.

• Members

I used to play in tournaments with expanded rule sets, probably about 500 pages of expanded rules, pieces, etc. That was the nerdiest of all.

:eek:

I can't even imagine that. My friends and I played for about 18 hours (12 was with no interruption) on one game. We pretty much decided to quit because we all started to hate eachother and spent numerous hours debating and arguing some of the rules. :lol:

• Members

I couldn't imagine... Back when I played Risk a lot I was also stoned most of the time. Axis & Allies always took too long.

Now I play Risk on the computer. :thu:

• Members

I got ya all beat...

Used to play Advanced Squad Leader in tourneys.

Talk about rules...holy schnikey! Had to be a lawyer to be good at that one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Squad_Leader

• Moderators

I got ya all beat...

Used to play Advanced Squad Leader in tourneys.

Talk about rules...holy schnikey! Had to be a lawyer to be good at that one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Squad_Leader

Awesome. Anything where rule based strategy is involved, is right up my alley. I didn't know it at the time, but I can now see the obvious transition from uber-geek gamer to patent lawyer.

• Members

Awesome. Anything where rule based strategy is involved, is right up my alley. I didn't know it at the time, but I can now see the obvious transition from uber-geek gamer to patent lawyer.

Man, you have no idea. I thought I was smart, or something, because I could understand how this game worked. When I started getting matched up with other players I found out first hand how knowing every single subsection and obscure rule could give even a mediocre player a huge edge.

In the end I just couldn't keep up. :facepalm:

Archived