Tonal near-perfection

Flâneur

• Members

That happened to me the other day with a cranked V-4B, Big Muff and a p-bass.

I have found tonal nirvana in small amps rather than big ones, especially through headphones. I can only think that it forces me to really make my tone and playing consistent.

On that note, over the past week or two since re-discovering the floating thumb technique and using more volume but a lighter touch on lighter strings. My tone has become closer to what I want it to be; smoother, more even and consistent.

Perhaps it helps that I have switched back to my lighter Yamaha bass (a cheap one though, ironically) with a jazz neck and lighter strings. I don't have to fight the neck-dive and it's not uncomfortable to wear after awhile of standing.

• Members

I have found tonal nirvana in small amps rather than big ones, especially through headphones. I can only think that it forces me to really make my tone and playing consistent.

On that note, over the past week or two since re-discovering the floating thumb technique and using more volume but a lighter touch on lighter strings. My tone has become closer to what I want it to be; smoother, more even and consistent.

Perhaps it helps that I have switched back to my lighter Yamaha bass (a cheap one though, ironically) with a jazz neck and lighter strings. I don't have to fight the neck-dive and it's not uncomfortable to wear after awhile of standing.

Small amps have their places. I just find that having a nice overdriven tube amp helps. Of course, if I really wanted to I could do that with my SVT. But the neighbors 100 yards away from me may get a little annoyed.

I've never liked headphones tonal wise. They just don't have the openness and solid low end bass cabs have. They have bass, but you can't really get cans to sound like a 115 no matter how hard you try. Although they are great for really listening closely to your playing though. Which is part of the reason I use them for practicing when I do. But for tone, mmeehh, not really.

• Members

Small amps have their places. I just find that having a nice overdriven tube amp helps. Of course, if I really wanted to I could do that with my SVT. But the neighbors 100 yards away from me may get a little annoyed.

I've never liked headphones tonal wise. They just don't have the openness and solid low end bass cabs have. They have bass, but you can't really get cans to sound like a 115 no matter how hard you try. Although they are great for really listening closely to your playing though. Which is part of the reason I use them for practicing when I do. But for tone, mmeehh, not really.

They do suck out some of the extreme bottom but make things sound focused. I'm also a big fan of the gut-shaking low end of a good 2x15" cab. However, unless you're playing dub/reggae and a flabby low end is beneficial, I find a smaller cab aids things. Maybe it's time for some 12"s for me.

I must try an SWR. I always hear good things about them.

Archived