Tried a few cabinets this weekend: Schroeder, Epifani, Aguilar, Eden

Bryan316

• Members

Okay. First, Epifani 410 cabinet. SUCKED. No thickness to it, no deepness to it. Lots of mids and highs, but it didn't sound like a bass rig should. As a standalone cabinet, horrible. You'd need another cab with it to get a full, deep sound.

Schroeder folded 410. Two drivers facing forward, two hidden inside and ported. VERY interesting. Hella-deep, booming, very thick. But also very muddy. It would be hard to dial this cab in to mix with a band and not turn to complete mud. However, I bet this would be a killer matchup if you had a sealed 410 or 210 cab on top for the extra mids and highs to get you some definition and clarity.

Aguilar 212. Me likey 12's for bass. Even, thick, crisp, tight, LOUD. I like this guy. I just can't find a 212 cab, by any manufacturer, that I don't like. It's like they're such all-purpose cabs, able to give you rumble, honk, brightness, anything you want. If you want a portable one-cab rig, this is where to start. I am saddened that the world thinks 410 cabs are the way to go. They know not what they're missing.

Eden 610XLT. I am downright AFRAID of this monster. It's almost too loud, man. Scary. So damn thick and in-your-face. It rattles the base of your neck! If you lift your leg to take a step, it rattles your shoes! My jeans were flapping from the wind this beast creates! If you're complaining about never hearing yourself loud enough in the mix, this is your answer. The full Marshall stack slayer.

Eden 210XST. If you play a 5- or 6-string bass, this is your best friend in the world. No 15" or 18" speaker can give you this kind of tight deep almost subsonic rumble for your B string to be happy. I thought I liked how 12's made my low B string sound. But I LOVE this guy! Put it on the floor under my Eden 212XLT, and it was killing me with jealousy. My next purchase. Easily.

• Members

From your musical tastes, I can see why you dinna like the Epi. They're the one brand I really haven't tested out, but I've never had a reason b/c of their voicing, on both the UL and UL-II series.

Schro's IME are almost impossible to judge as stand-alone cabs. In a band context, they're anything but muddy and sit "right there". If my 412 ever gets too big to schlep around and they're still in biz, I'd go for a 210212 pretty easily if you just need a cab as an on-stage monitor.

Aggie 12's are legit and I love 'em. They're easily up there with Mesa and Eden's offerings, IMO.

• Members

If you were to buy any one of these cabs, which would it be?

Well... to use alongside the gear I already own and the amp I already use, it'd be that 210XST. Because paired with my 212XLT, it's just too damn awesome. My low B never sounded better. Once we got to Tim's backyard jam and he rigged up his gear, I got to play my WT550 into my 212XLT and his 210XST, and I was sold.

However, if you asked me to start a rig from scratch, it'd be a WT800C bridged into that 610XLT, and I'd never look back! You guys cannot fathom how much this thing vibrated your body. No matter where in the room I walked, it was brutal.

And of course, y'all don't believe me cuz I posted no pics.

Oh Wait! Pardon me!!!

99353145.jpg

77050450.jpg

Suck it, Chicago! Stanley Cup, here we come!

32474185.jpg

Technically, they had the 1250 power amp wired up with the 800C, just to show how that setup can work. IT WORKED. m/ m/

Archived