Cell Phones: Sprint/Pre vs. AT&T/iPhone

Thunderbroom

• Members

Yeah...I started another cell phone thread.

:p

I'm really on the fence. Here's the dealio:

Sprint/Pre

450 Minutes with nights starting at 7pm

Unlimited weekend

Unlimited data

Unlimited texts

$69 per month

AT&T/iPhone

450 Minutes with nights starting at 9pm

5000 weekend minutes

Unlimited data

1500 texts

$75 per month

The AT&T price is cheaper than normal. I found out that we (school employees) get a discount with AT&T. It's only about $10 per month but...

The phones are comparable, I believe. The Pre is a first generation device that has gotten rave reviews from some and lukewarm reviews from others. It seems the iPhone gets similar reviews...personal preferences I suppose.

Help me decide!!

• Members

If you think you'll hit your maximums, I'd stick with Sprint. Going over those limits usually costs a lot of money.

If you don't think you'll hit your maximums, I'd go play with the phones & see which I like more.

• Members

Which has the better coverage/network in your area? Also, have you checked out the reliability of the Pre? I seem to remember reading that they were having issues with it. For me, it'd come down to stability of the unit and the network.

• Members

Which has the better coverage/network in your area? Also, have you checked out the reliability of the Pre? I seem to remember reading that they were having issues with it. For me, it'd come down to stability of the unit and the network.

I've talked with folks on both networks in my area. It seems that I get more positive comments about Sprint than I do AT&T by a long shot. The thing is though that it's still opinion and not fact. It's folks perception. I'm with Sprint and have great coverage for both phone and data.

• Members

I will use the phone heavily for texting/email/phone (in that order). Everything else is icing on the cake.

I have a girlfriend and a daughter that would rather text than call or talk face to face... Seriously, I get texts from my daughter when I'm downstairs and she's upstairs. I almost always go over 1500 texts per month.

• Members

All I can add is:

1) my girlfriend has Sprint and a Blackberry Pearl and she loves it and gets pretty good coverage

2) I use to have AT&T and I thought the regular cell coverage in this area was pretty good.

3) I have T-mobile now and coverage sucks where I'm at!:mad:

4) I want an i-phone!

• Members

if it were just a question of Pre vs. iPhone, I'd go with the iPhone hands down. In your case, however, I'd prob stick with Sprint. Keep in mind that you (probably) don't pay for mobile to mobile calls, so calls to friends and family that have sprint devices are suddenly going to weigh in on your minutes per month.

Also it's 5000 night and weekend minutes, not just weekend minutes with AT&T. Just so you know. ;)

• Members

I guess then that this can only lead to great things in the future considering how all those on-topic threads turned out.

:)

I will use the phone heavily for texting/email/phone (in that order). Everything else is icing on the cake.

Then I would get my hands on an iPhone to get a feel for it's "keyboard" to find out if you'll be comfortable with it. People that do a lot of texting(etc) often prefer the more "physical" keyboard of a Blackberry-type unit.

• Members

Then I would get my hands on an iPhone to get a feel for it's "keyboard" to find out if you'll be comfortable with it. People that do a lot of texting(etc) often prefer the more "physical" keyboard of a Blackberry-type unit.

That's totally my thing. I have an iPod touch (iPhone-like) and the keyboard isn't accurate enough for my big sausage fingers.

The HTC G1 from t-mobile was the same (even worse accuracy).

Went back to my Curve. The tactile touch-click.. separated buttons won out over the toy-like touch-screen tech for me.

Mileage may vary, of course.

But phones are like bass gear. Go touch and play with all you can and make decisions based on YOUR needs.

• Members

If you do this, use the iPhone keyboard in the web browser. Currently, it is the only keyboard that you can use horizontally or vertically, but as of next Wed, all iPhones (2G, 3G and 3GS) will be able to Text, Email and take notes on vertical or horizontal keyboards, too.

• Members

call up sprint and tell them you work for a school and would sign up for the plan if you get the 22% business discount. If you can pull off an additional 22% of a discount off the Sprint plan for the Pre, go that route.

If not, go with AT&T/iPhone. the iphone has some pretty amazing apps :) If you find you ever come close to going over your minutes/txt messages you might want to consider upgrading your plan, which is probably going to cost you a lot more monthly. AT&T just pisses me off though cause they don't support tethering yet the new iPhone 3G S does.

• Members

Found out from our phone guru at work that I can get 18% service and 20% accessories with AT&T. He recommends the iPhone/AT&T combo over Sprint and has Sprint service.

maybe he's an iPhone fanboi though... :idk:

you have to be careful with those, they're like Jehova's Witness/Mormons people out to convert you to what they strongly believe in :facepalm:

• Members

Update:

Sprint/Pre

450 Minutes with nights starting at 7pm

Unlimited weekend

Unlimited data

Unlimited texts

$69 per month

AT&T/iPhone

450 Minutes with nights starting at 9pm

Rollover minutes

5000 weekend minutes

Unlimited data

Unlimited texts

$77 per month

Slight change but better! Also found out we get 25% off accessories. I stopped by a Sprint store and there was no attempt to sweeten the deal. Disappointing.

• Members

Sprint is cheaper, has more minutes, and has the newer phone. Why is there a question?

The Palm Pre has a built-in hardware keyboard, that's the selling point for me. I can't text on a virtual keyboard. Well, I can, if I'm looking at it -- that doesn't help when I'm doing something else, like driving, or watching TV, or trying to reply to someone when I shouldn't be replying to someone.

Archived