Gig this weekend, amp dies...again (Eden Content)

been_effected

• Members

As further my previous story in this thread, I've bought an Eden WT-550 to replace my Genz. I was suspicious of it, so I sent it into my local repairer to get it to check it over. I just got it back from him about 5 hours before I was due to headline a gig.

Anyway, I got there, plugged in, soundchecked perfectly and creamed myself once again at the incredible sound. All good, things looked great. The band in front of us was going to use my amp, so the bass player asked me to plug him in and get it all working. I plug in...and nothing! We played around with cables, swapped out both instrument and speakon leads, as well as trying a normal 1/4" speaker cable. Nothing. The amp's receiving a signal, as if I push the gain the clip lights light up, so the pre seems ok. When I checked it out at home, there's a very faint signal coming through, but its not being amplified.

Anyone want to throw a few ideas out there as to what could be goin on? I'm running with a problem with the power section, possibly a {censored}ed transformer? I'm not sure. Needless to say I was extremely pissed off (still am), but at least I still have the Genz to back me up on the night

Oh, and the gig was the best we ever played. Period. I think the anger helped the aggression, as well as the wireless, was jumping off anything and everything.

• Members

At this point, just call the folks at Eden. They have always been spectacular to me. Give em the serial number and they can find out how old it is and if they reparied it before. If its seriously hosed, I would just ship it to them and bite the bullet to have it fixed by the real people.

My Stewart 1.2 sat unused for 2 years because I was a dumbass and thought it was fried bad. I finally took the time to box and ship it and in the end it was a $60 repair and I got a new box and shipping was included - I was an idiot for not getting it fixed sooner.

• Members

At this point, just call the folks at Eden. They have always been spectacular to me. Give em the serial number and they can find out how old it is and if they reparied it before. If its seriously hosed, I would just ship it to them and bite the bullet to have it fixed by the real people.

My Stewart 1.2 sat unused for 2 years because I was a dumbass and thought it was fried bad. I finally took the time to box and ship it and in the end it was a $60 repair and I got a new box and shipping was included - I was an idiot for not getting it fixed sooner.

Only problem I have with this is I would have to ship it internationally (I don't live in the States, and from memory I don't think there's an authorised repairer in Australia), and would probably be without it for a few months. Not totally sold on doing that if I don't have to, you know?

• Members

Only problem I have with this is I would have to ship it internationally (I don't live in the States, and from memory I don't think there's an authorised repairer in Australia), and would probably be without it for a few months. Not totally sold on doing that if I don't have to, you know?

Oh yeah. I am sure Eden has some shop they would recommend down unda'.

• Members

:facepalm:

shoulda bought a Carvin.

I don't understand what's wrong with calling the folks at Eden. He bought a used head and obviously did not get the complete story on it. While I understand he lives on a different continent - long distance is not that pricey and there are many viable free/cheap work arounds.

I am also willing to bet Eden might even accept a collect call.

Carvin stuff breaks and he would be in the same boat, but with questionable customer service at best.

• Members

Hey Moogie, there's a long story about this forum and Eden's customer service. They really screwed the pooch on CS with Catphish and it became a drawn out inter-forum war that ended badly.

Oh, I see. Like I had them send me all kinds of freebies over the years, never had anything but the folks at Eden bending over backwards for me.

Once again, I am happy to call them on the OP's behalf and see if they just like my voice or something. :confused:

• Members

Call up US Music at 1-800-877-6863 and ask for Tim McCarthy. Their hours are 8:30AM - 5:00PM CST, M-F, so whatever the time-zone difference is for you, make some time in the evening or something, heh heh.

There's a few Eden stores and if I remember correctly, an Eden tech in Melbourne. Tim will help you plan this out so there's the least amount of waiting for parts. My recommendation when you get the tech to look at it, whatever parts he needs, call back Eden and order them directly from Eden, and have them shipped personally to you and not the tech. Much faster Fed-Exing it to you than a store who might bury it with the rest of their daily shipments. Then you can take in the amp and new parts, hand it over, and let him fix everything up.

Aussieland is far away, but there are at least four Eden players down under that post regularly on the Eden forum. You can talk shop with them and get their opinions as well, one of them owns a music store down there.

• Members

Alright guys alright, settle down.

Moogie, don't take it personal, there was some pretty poor CS bull{censored} that went down for catphish, and the guys around here are like elephants, they don't forget.

I missed most of it and got to hear the story in retrospect, and irrespective of that I've like the sound of the Edens for a while. I just never pulled the trigger because I didn't trust the CS.

I had a US Music rep get back to me via email within 48 hours, giving me the details of the local distributor down here. He apologised for not having a repairers details on hand, but said to get in touch with them again if the local distributor couldn't help me further and he would try and arrange the shipment of my unit to be fixed in the States.

In response to your question Joey...no you can't have my Genz, and I replaced it because...well...Eden puts me closer to my dream tone in my head than the Genz does. That's it really, pure and simple. I had no complaints AT ALL with the Genz. Still love them as a brand, praise them to everyone I meet, and if Genz made a tube bass head I would probably be all over that {censored} like a fat kid with cake. Like I said in my other thread, the Eden just sounds better in my head, and I'll probably regret my decision to sell the Genz in the end.

Thanks Bryan, I may look into doing that. The only issue I still have is that Melbourne is several thousand k's away from where I am, so I would still have to courier my amp down to the repairer, get him to look at it, let me know the parts he needs, order them, wait for them to get here, send them on to him, get him to repair it and send it back. It's a hell of a lot of screwing around....agh will probably still have to get it done that way though I guess.

I'm taking it to my local repairer first, I trust him, he knows his {censored}, has dealt with World Tour amps before and most importantly, was the one who fiddled with it before it died! See what he has to say first while I suss out details from the Australian distributor.

I'll jump on the Eden forum too, good idea, cheers boys!

Will keep you updated.

Oh and Jazz Ad, I know. They're uncomfortable in winter. And I'm sig'ing that quote, its tops

• Members

Eden has the E300T, an all-tube amp that sounds like gold plated nipples on a set of DD juggs. I've been dying to snag one since they're now out of production and getting replaced by the WTB300V this year, so I should be able to get it cheap. Why do I want it?

I want a backup amp. Heh heh heh.

Been-Effected, I hope your amp guy can figure it out for you. But, something to consider... if he "fixed" it before, did he really fix it in the first place? And also, sometimes a component can be fixed too many times, kind of like resoldering a 1/4" jack too many times... just wears it out. It could be that this amp's previous owner beat it up too much, and one of the boards inside simply needs to be replaced.

Have him look at it. But if he finds one of the parts inside is just too beat up, call up CS and ask them to UPS you a new component board, and get rid of the source of the problem entirely.

By the way, just curious... do you have a WT550 or WT550B? The -B models have oval holes cut into the chassis cover for venting, the originals had round holes.

• Members

Eden has the E300T, an all-tube amp that sounds like gold plated nipples on a set of DD juggs. I've been dying to snag one

Or you could give me the money, and I'll kick you in the nuts a few times. Just trying to save you some time. :lol:

• Members

Eden has the E300T, an all-tube amp that sounds like gold plated nipples on a set of DD juggs. I've been dying to snag one since they're now out of production and getting replaced by the WTB300V this year, so I should be able to get it cheap. Why do I want it?

I want a backup amp. Heh heh heh.

Been-Effected, I hope your amp guy can figure it out for you. But, something to consider... if he "fixed" it before, did he really fix it in the first place? And also, sometimes a component can be fixed too many times, kind of like resoldering a 1/4" jack too many times... just wears it out. It could be that this amp's previous owner beat it up too much, and one of the boards inside simply needs to be replaced.

Have him look at it. But if he finds one of the parts inside is just too beat up, call up CS and ask them to UPS you a new component board, and get rid of the source of the problem entirely.

By the way, just curious... do you have a WT550 or WT550B? The -B models have oval holes cut into the chassis cover for venting, the originals had round holes.

Er...

I could give you the serial number? :D

Archived