played through a peavey cab last night

samson3382

• Members

using my GBE1200. Decided not to bring my cabs for convenience. It was the 350 watt, rear ported 4X10. It had a tweeter control on the back but it must have been disconnected or removed. Couldn't get any hi-end out of it. no sparkle at all. But it seemed like a very boomy, bassy cab, especially for a 350 watt 4X10. Much more boomy, and much less high end than my kappalite 3015.

I was wondering if pushing the cab too hard for years is why it sounds like that?

The guy who the cab belongs to plays a tuned down 4-string, so his E is really sloppy. In addition he beats the hell out of the strings with his first 3 fingers, strings bouncing off the pickups constantly. He also sets everthing on the amp wide open. limiting constantly, distorting, sounds like {censored}. I was able to get decent bass out of it with my amp, but no high end. seeing and hearing the abuse this cab has put up with impresses me, even if it does sound muddy as hell.

• Members

using my GBE1200. Decided not to bring my cabs for convenience. It was the 350 watt, rear ported 4X10. It had a tweeter control on the back but it must have been disconnected or removed. Couldn't get any hi-end out of it. no sparkle at all. But it seemed like a very boomy, bassy cab, especially for a 350 watt 4X10. Much more boomy, and much less high end than my kappalite 3015.

I was wondering if pushing the cab too hard for years is why it sounds like that?

The guy who the cab belongs to plays a tuned down 4-string, so his E is really sloppy. In addition he beats the hell out of the strings with his first 3 fingers, strings bouncing off the pickups constantly. He also sets everthing on the amp wide open. limiting constantly, distorting, sounds like {censored}. I was able to get decent bass out of it with my amp, but no high end. seeing and hearing the abuse this cab has put up with impresses me, even if it does sound muddy as hell.

Peavey cabs have a real full crossover circuit as opposed to a high pass filter for the tweeter, so some tweeter level is generally desired (Full spectrum does not go to the woofers). Sounds like your tweeter was blown. Rear ported also means it was at least a decade old so that could have had some effect as well. The good thing aboput them is you can buy the element for the tweeter for about 15 bucks and fix it youself very easily.

• Members

Peavey cabs have a real full crossover circuit as opposed to a low pass filter for the tweeter, so some tweeter level is generally desired (Full spectrum does
not
go to the woofers). Sounds like your tweeter was blown. Rear ported also means it was at least a decade old so that could have had some effect as well. The good thing aboput them is you can buy the element for the tweeter for about 15 bucks and fix it youself very easily.

yeah i messed with the tweeter dial on the back, couldn't tell a difference. Most likely, given the way this guy abuses his equipment, that he most likely got for free:rolleyes:, the tweeter is blown. this thing was old and tired.

• Members

yeah i messed with the tweeter dial on the back, couldn't tell a difference. Most likely, given the way this guy abuses his equipment, that he most likely got for free:rolleyes:, the tweeter is blown. this thing was old and tired.

Yep that's it. I've changed two elements on my two Peavey boxes (never lend equipment to nephews), quite easy to fix.

• Members

thankfully, its not my cab, but its good to know this about it. we play with this band alot, i share my drummer and guitarist with them so its very convenient. I'll be sharing gear with them often. its not a bad cab at all as far as straight up bass goes, now i just know that i need to bring either my 2X10, or even my kappa3015(funny it has better highs, with the stock SWR workingmans tweeter on the -6dB setting. :idk:) to boost the highs so i can get that treble cut.

some day, a pair of GB 2X12's:love:

gotta pay off the GBE1200 first though:rolleyes:

• Members

thankfully, its not my cab, but its good to know this about it. we play with this band alot, i share my drummer and guitarist with them so its very convenient. I'll be sharing gear with them often. its not a bad cab at all as far as straight up bass goes, now i just know that i need to bring either my 2X10, or even my kappa3015(funny it has better highs, with the stock SWR workingmans tweeter on the -6dB setting.
:idk:
) to boost the highs so i can get that treble cut.

some day, a pair of GB 2X12's:love:

gotta pay off the GBE1200 first though:rolleyes:

I heard that exact rig from a local gigging band, it freaking slays.

The 1200 is a great head too, I like your taste in gear :thu:

• Members

My compact 410 is
sans-tweeter
... I hate tweeter-tone, so I never use one.

I am considering a "bright box" with some 5's or 6's on top of my rig for some added top-end (especially with the adjustable bi-amping features on my old Eden)

NEtour004Medium.jpg

i do kind of wish my GB head was biampable, especially with the cabs i have at the moment. my GB 2X10 on top can't handle the bass that the kappalite15 can, so it farts out way before the 15 even gets goin. i didn't really notice much of an issue until i went from my old B2R 350watts, to the 1000 i get out of the GBE1200 @ 4ohms. thats why i want to get a pair of matching cabs.

on that note, which GB 2X12 is better? the NEOX 212T ( http://www.genzbenz.com/?fa=detail&mid=1436&sid=426&cid=96 )

or the 212T-UB ( http://www.genzbenz.com/?fa=detail&mid=1436&sid=426&cid=96 )

i like the height of the NEOX as a single cab, but i don't know if id enjoy lifting my 42+ pound rack five feet up in the air to get it on top. right now i stack my rack on top of my 15, with the 2X10 on top of the rack for extra height.

• Members

Oh nice there's a new uber one? Hadn't seen that

I can't say anything about the Uber 2x12, haven't seen one yet, but if its anything like the rest of the Uber range it'll be pretty good.

I have used the NEO's though, and quite a few of the guys on here have bought one. They're fantastic, great punchy, light cab.

• Members

I run my GBE-600 into Peavey cabs all the time. :) And I hate the way tweeters sound on bass, generally speaking, so I always keep them turned off. For small shows I carry either a Peavey 210TX or an Avatar 1x12. For medium shows I either use both of those cabs (it actually makes a surprisingly nice small stack) or a Peavey 2x15. The fifteens sound awesome, but of course it's much heavier. For large shows, I'll let you know when I start booking 'em. :D

• Members

I don't think it's 1600w, more like 800, which is plenty for me. And I'd venture that it's less than 66lbs, but I do bicep curls with Mercedes Grossers, so it's tough to judge.

C7

interesting, just googled that cab again and found different specs..

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Tour-410-4x10-Bass-Cabinet-?sku=480317

http://www.peavey.com/news/article.cfm/action/view/id/286/20080502.cfm

MF has it rated a 700 program, Peavey has it at 1600 program:confused:

• Members

interesting, just googled that cab again and found different specs..

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Tour-410-4x10-Bass-Cabinet-?sku=480317

http://www.peavey.com/news/article.cfm/action/view/id/286/20080502.cfm

MF has it rated a 700 program, Peavey has it at 1600 program:confused:

Watts ratings are a terrible way to judge a cab sight-unseen in my opinion. I think "Loud" and "Not Loud" are more reliable evaluations.:D

C7

• Members

agreed

I think it's like that with any stat that's issued by any manufacturer.

I mean, I can tell you my 94 Pathfinder has 400hp all I want. If it wont get out of it's own damn way on a long highway grade, the numbers I gave you obviously didn't tell you the whole story.

C7

Archived