custom 5-string

dedpool1052

• Members

Shamray is one of the best custom shops of what i have heard, a friend of mine made a custom guitar, and it is simply awesome, they put EVERYTHING you want in the bass (xept for Rickenbacker stuff).. it is not very expansive, or even better, i think we can call it ''cheap'', they have free quotes on their webpage

• Members

Indeed-what features are you looking for?

What about off-the-shelf basses doesn't satisfy you?

i'm pretty limited to my choices as most companies don't make lefties, although there are a few that make some nice ones although nothing like what i'm after.

i want a j-style bass with a J-P-J pickup combo with active/passive electronics.

• Members

Outside of the left-handed issue, do you have any preferences regarding tone, neck profile, string spacing, active vs. passive, etc.? Do you understand how various woods might affect the tone of a bass you order?

Have you played any basses by luthiers you're interested in?

I ask these questions because "recommend me a luthier" is extremely vague given the number of options available. If you know exactly what you want out of a custom bass, it's easier for us to recommend you luthiers that will be able to build what you want. Otherwise, people tend to recommend what they prefer, which may or may not work for you. For example, if you want a bass that cosmetically resembles a 70's Fender Jazz Bass, but with 5 strings and an active electronics package, it would be unhelpful for me to recommend Skjold basses (although they're exceptional instruments) because Pete doesn't build anything like that.

If you haven't considered these things, it would be advisable to do some research so that you don't mistakenly plunk down a bunch of money on a bass that won't work for you.

• Members

Outside of the left-handed issue, do you have any preferences regarding tone, neck profile, string spacing, active vs. passive, etc.? Do you understand how various woods might affect the tone of a bass you order?

Have you played any basses by luthiers you're interested in?

I ask these questions because "recommend me a luthier" is extremely vague given the number of options available. If you know exactly what you want out of a custom bass, it's easier for us to recommend you luthiers that will be able to build what you want. Otherwise, people tend to recommend what they prefer, which may or may not work for you.

If you haven't considered these things, it would be advisable to do some research so that you don't mistakenly plunk down a bunch of money on a bass that won't work for you.

i understand the various woods, and as far as neck profiles, im pretty fond of the neck on my stingray 5 and the schecter stiletto elite is pretty good too. i'm looking for something thats kind of traditional but with some modern appointments. i was kind of leaning towards sadowsky, mike lull or valenti, but dont know much about his basses and haven't seen any reviews of'em.

• Members

i understand the various woods, and as far as neck profiles, im pretty fond of the neck on my stingray 5 and the schecter stiletto elite is pretty good too. i'm looking for something thats kind of traditional but with some modern appointments. i was kind of leaning towards sadowsky, mike lull or valenti, but dont know much about his basses and haven't seen any reviews of'em.

All three are solid choices. I've met Nino in real life, and played a number of his instruments. He's a cool guy who builds really good basses. :thu:

Lull and Sadowsky have well-earned reputations, although you might not be able to get as many options as you might with Valenti.

• Members

Sadowsky is F'n expensive for what you get. I would never recommend a Lull. Valenti is really reasonable pricewise and you can do whatever you want. I'd also take a look at Lakland.

+1

I've heard some good things about Valenti. Last I checked he hanged around bassnutz.com.

• Members

Yeah I can't fault his builds but for some reason his basses come off more as a parts bass than a Lakland or Sadowsky do. The three Fender clone builders I'd consider are Lakland, Valenti, and Sadowsky in that order. Sadowsky is last because they are so damn expensive.

Honestly I'd rather build a Warmoth parts bass than shell out the cash for a Lull.

• Members

Yeah I can't fault his builds but for some reason his basses come off more as a parts bass than a Lakland or Sadowsky do.

that might be due to the fact that after he rough cuts the necks/glues the body halves together then sends'em off to be milled down and finished by someone else.

• Members

that might be due to the fact that after he rough cuts the necks/glues the body halves together then sends'em off to be milled down and finished by someone else.

FWIW, USA Lakland and USA Sadowsky bass parts are made by outside contractors and are also sent out to be finished as well.

Archived