OT: Flyin folks, advice needed

Super_Donut_Man

• Members

Drugs and booze do nothing to ease a persons fears. Not one thing.

I can also attest to this. Unless I am completely zonked out (sleeping) no amount of liquor has ever helped me. Problem is getting to the point of being able to sleep...it's pretty rare for me on a plane.

• Members
Yeah, but all the other people going are couples, so its going to be lame. I am going regardless, as it is a good friends wedding. Plus I've never really gone on a trip with my wife.
:idk:

Couples- meh.

Hedonism 2 would be more fun.:eek:

• Members

+A billion. That always freaks me out; I get this feeling like "What was that?!" "Should we be banking this hard?!" "Uh oh, I just heard the engines get real quiet, did we lose one?!"

Utterly silly, I know. But I have to keep telling myself "Just watch the flight attendents; if they are calm than I know we are still in good shape"

Sometimes it even works...

Again, your experience is the root cause of most people's fear, the zero G sensations. Also, we are always pulling the engines back to idle in flight, pushing them back up etc, and the noise level can vary from super loud to whisper quiet from the cabin. That is totally a normal experience, and it doesn't matter if the nose is up, down, banked etc. That gets back to the education part. You seem to already know you are thinking irrational, and a little education would eliminate that very easily.

• Members
Being afraid of strapping your ass into a 550 mph beer can travelling at 35,000 feet is irrational? Sounds like common sense to me.

Not any beer can; a $27,000,000 beer can has never held any beer. :cop:

• Members

Super Donut Man, one more thing. If she's never flown you have a huge advantage. You can tell her everything she is about to experience, how it will feel, what it will sound like, everything. Someone who is expecting to feel something will not be afraid. I almost always tell my pax to expect some turbulence, and guess what- they almost never complain when we do get it, since it is already in their thoughts and they are waiting for it. Again, the fear is the unknown, and you have the element of suprise. Tell her to ignore her ignorant friends and let you describe what the flight experience is like. Be very detailed, include descriptions of the physical sensations, they are the most important. A good point already made was to keep her talking and thinking, not sitting there letting her irrational fears to get control. A thinking person is a calm person. If the plane does something be right there explaining what is happening and why, don't let her have even a second to panic at a bump or noise. Keep her thinking! If you can do this her first flight experience will be positive, and she'l say it wasn't as bad as she was expecting. Main point, do everything you can to make sure she knows everything she's about to experience, be there during the entire flight as a calming presence, and keep her thinking. :cool:

• Members
Super Donut Man, one more thing. If she's never flown you have a huge advantage. You can tell her everything she is about to experience, how it will feel, what it will sound like, everything. Someone who is expecting to feel something will not be afraid. I almost always tell my pax to expect some turbulence, and guess what- they almost never complain when we do get it, since it is already in their thoughts and they are waiting for it. Again, the fear is the unknown, and you have the element of suprise. Tell her to ignore her ignorant friends and let you describe what the flight experience is like. Be very detailed, include descriptions of the physical sensations, they are the most important. A good point already made was to keep her talking and thinking, not sitting there letting her irrational fears to get control. A thinking person is a calm person. If the plane does something be right there explaining what is happening and why, don't let her have even a second to panic at a bump or noise. Keep her thinking! If you can do this her first flight experience will be positive, and she'l say it wasn't as bad as she was expecting. Main point, do everything you can to make sure she knows everything she's about to experience, be there during the entire flight as a calming presence, and keep her thinking.
:cool:

Will do. Thanks a bunch dude, makes me feel a ton better about the situation.:cool:

• Members

Another question L-1329 (may seem stupid), but I assume there are strict maintenece requirements for these large airplanes (I am hoping, so I'd have something to help my wife, talking to her about what you had mentioned above has helped, she is starting to warm up to it a bit:thu:)

• Members

Another question L-1329 (may seem stupid), but I assume there are strict maintenece requirements for these large airplanes (I am hoping, so I'd have something to help my wife, talking to her about what you had mentioned above has helped, she is starting to warm up to it a bit:thu:)

Awesome! Anyone can enjoy flying if they are prepared beforehand, you helping her get ready for it is the best thing for her. And you!;)

Yes there are very regulated inspection and maintenence procedures for airline ops. There are a couple of aviation mechs on here as I recall too who could answer with more detail. Basically, every system and structure of the airframe and engines are inspected and maintained every so many hours, cycles of operation, or every so many days or calander months. The regulations spell all this out very carefully, and the FAA reviews and approves all maintenence shops, personelle, and airline maintenence programs for correctness and compliance. The planes are looked at on a continuing cycle of inspections, and she should have nothing to worry about. Well, unless it's an Airbus! (sorry, couldn't resist. ;) ) She won't see any duct tape holding it together. Well, maybe a little, but not on anything important...

• Members
Awesome! Anyone can enjoy flying if they are prepared beforehand, you helping her get ready for it is the best thing for her. And you!
;)

Yes there are very regulated inspection and maintenence procedures for airline ops. There are a couple of aviation mechs on here as I recall too who could answer with more detail. Basically, every system and structure of the airframe and engines are inspected and maintained every so many hours, cycles of operation, or every so many days or calander months. The regulations spell all this out very carefully, and the FAA reviews and approves all maintenence shops, personelle, and airline maintenence programs for correctness and compliance. The planes are looked at on a continuing cycle of inspections, and she should have nothing to worry about. Well, unless it's an Airbus! (sorry, couldn't resist.
;)
) She won't see any duct tape holding it together. Well, maybe a little, but not on anything important...

Sweet, I think she would freak it were an air bus that Air France one kinda tainted her thoughts on them. :lol::cool: Thank you again. I'll probably foward what you said (less the comment at the end) to her.:thu:

Archived