Somebody recommend me a good 5-stringer

kurfu

• Members
I prefer a nice solid bass that can be used in a bar fight, and then go right back to playing without having to re-tune... like my Jazz can.
:thu:

pffffftttttt - hilarious! guess you and i have been playin' the same houston-area bars.

that said, have you considered a stingray 5? you can pick one up used for $1000. you're welcome to try mine to get a feel for it to see if you like it. i think it feels quite like a jazz, personally - more so than my czech spector.

• Members

pffffftttttt - hilarious! guess you and i have been playin' the same houston-area bars.

that said, have you considered a stingray 5? you can pick one up used for $1000. you're welcome to try mine to get a feel for it to see if you like it. i think it feels quite like a jazz, personally - more so than my czech spector.

If you are in Houston, we may have crossed paths at some point... Go here and scoll done the page a little but - you will see a complete list of all the shows I've done for the past few years.

Yes, I have considered the Stingray. Probably gonna make a trip over the GC on Wethiemer sometime soon and mess around with whatever they have hanging around.

• Members

If you are in Houston, we may have crossed paths at some point...
and scoll done the page a little but - you will see a complete list of all the shows I've done for the past few years.

Yes, I have considered the Stingray. Probably gonna make a trip over the GC on Wethiemer sometime soon and mess around with whatever they have hanging around.

i've only been here a few months, and my band mostly plays around Katy - and half the time, Anthony (he posts here too) covers gigs with the same band - so we probably haven't crossed paths yet.

in any event, if you want to check out the SR5 you're welcome to give mine a shot.

• Members

Hey there,

2 weeks ago I purchased a MTD Kingston Heir 5 and it's great. It's got a jazz pickup in the neck position & a musicman style pick-up in the bridge position. Great, fast neck, Buzz Feiton tuning system, nice 3 band EQ. It's great. It has a real nice natural growl to it.

Check one out before you decide on something else. I picked mine up for used for $780 canadian.

Cheers

• Members

I'd let you borrow my MTD 535, but it's a little out of your $1k price range, methinks! :D

Best not let you try it- then you'll buy one and go "Gd, I just spent $4k on a bass... :facepalm:"

But it has the best neck/action evar.

I think Doc said he's got a show on Sat night, but I'm playing Sam's Boat @ The Fountains in Stafford Sat @ 10PM.

• Members
I'd let you borrow my MTD 535, but it's a little out of your $1k price range, methinks!
:D

Best not let you try it- then you'll buy one and go "Gd, I just spent $4k on a bass... :facepalm:"

But it has the best neck/action evar.

I think Doc said he's got a show on Sat night, but I'm playing Sam's Boat @ The Fountains in Stafford Sat @ 10PM.

Wow... Those are some damn fine looking basses. Don't think I'd take that out to a gig, though. ;)

Sam's at the Fountains is a pretty cool place... I "DJ'd" there for a couple of years back around 2004... If you don't mind me asking, who books your shows for you?

• Members
Wow...
Those are some damn fine looking basses.
Don't think I'd take that out to a gig, though.
;)

Sam's at the Fountains is a pretty cool place... I "DJ'd" there for a couple of years back around 2004... If you don't mind me asking, who books your shows for you?

If you look about halfway down the page, and see the green/yellow/green 535 "Rodman", that's my baby! ;)
I've gigged it at my old church and a pop band I used to play with, but not on my heavy rock cover stuff, just yet. No real need, and I don't like drinking during a set and having this thing out there. Too much risk for something serious to happen.

Yeah we should be on that, and The Woodlands and Clear Lake Sam's Boat locations after this gig. We're working towards getting back into the Sherlock's/Baker Street rotations. We've just been doing warm up gigs for now.

To be honest, I think it's my rhythm guitard and singer. We/they all have either been in various formations of our current act (in my sig) or other bands like Torn and Adrenaline, others, etc.. I just joined in Jan, so I'm not up to speed on name-dropping in H-town just yet. ;) But I'm getting there...

I know Doc is out southwest, Lug is southeast, and I'm northwest, so where are you? :lol: Northeast? Midtown?

• Members
I know Doc is out southwest, Lug is southeast, and I'm northwest, so where are you?
:lol:
Northeast? Midtown?

I'm west of Houston, near Westheimer and Beltway-8... Not too far from Sherlock's. :thu:

Do you guys use a booking agent, or does your band-mate contact the bars directly? I'm just asking because I am getting really bored playing the same old dive bars with my band, and am trying to push them to step things up another notch...

• Members
I'm west of Houston, near Westheimer and Beltway-8... Not too far from Sherlock's.
:thu:

Do you guys use a booking agent, or does your band-mate contact the bars directly? I'm just asking because I am getting really bored playing the same old dive bars with my band, and am trying to push them to step things up another notch...

Yeah you're not too far from me then, actually! I pass you on the way to my rehearsal space. We practice at the Rock Center off Bissonnette and whatever that cross street is. Ashcroft I think. I'm off Jones road at 1960.

I think they contact them directly, because like I said they've all been on the scene for years, and that's how they do it.
I will ask them who their contacts are the places we've played so far. Do you have any in particular so I can ask?

• Members

Yeah you're not too far from me then, actually! I pass you on the way to my rehearsal space. We practice at the Rock Center off Bissonnette and whatever that cross street is. Ashcroft I think. I'm off Jones road at 1960.

I think they contact them directly, because like I said they've all been on the scene for years, and that's how they do it.

I will ask them who their contacts are the places we've played so far. Do you have any in particular so I can ask?

we're in the same boat, man (so to speak). i'm SOOOO tired of playing out in katy - if you have any connections closer to the city (i.e. inside the loop, or at least closer to it), i'd be eternally grateful.

• Members

we're in the same boat, man (so to speak). i'm SOOOO tired of playing out in katy - if you have any connections closer to the city (i.e. inside the loop, or at least closer to it), i'd be eternally grateful.

No sweat bro. I'll ask my guys this weekend. And again if you have any place in particular I'll ask if they have a lead.

I know the guy at Sherlock's is Nathan, and they're pretty strict about having a good press pack, decent demo, and play modern The Buzz/94.5 type stuff. But once you get in it's a very cush gig.

• Members

HA! I used to practice down there back in 1999-2000 with my old band.

I appreciate the offer, but I'm not ready to make contact with those places just yet. We are trying to update our set-list to add a lot more newer material (hence my interest in a 5-stringer)... I know what people in those places, and our repertoire just isn't quite right at this point... we do just fine in the dive/sports bar type places but the clientele is a little older than the Sam's/Bakerstreet/Sherlocks crowd.

• Members

What is your target audience, and what types of bars do you play?

• Members

HA! I used to practice down there back in 1999-2000 with my old band.

I appreciate the offer, but I'm not ready to make contact with those places just yet. We are trying to update our set-list to add a lot more newer material (hence my interest in a 5-stringer)... I know what people in those places, and our repertoire just isn't quite right at this point... we do just fine in the dive/sports bar type places but the clientele is a little older than the Sam's/Bakerstreet/Sherlocks crowd.

Here is our setlist, if that gives you any indication of what those guys are looking for, Sam's Boat/Baker Street/Sherlocks:

All Over You

Inside Out

Say it Ain

• Members

Yeah we're about to scrap about 7-10 of those though. We pretty much stay on top of The Buzz's monthly playlist, and learn probably about 2 new songs a month from that, while keeping most of the fan favorites.

We're about to swap Plush for Dead and Bloated, All The Small Things for Come Out and Play, and then learning Sound of Madness - Shinedown, New Divide - Linkin Park, Use Somebody - Kings of Leon and then I think (begrudgingly) a Nirvana tune.

My favorite new one is that Red Jumpsuit Apparatus song. It's a blast live.

• Members

Schecter Stiletto Studio.

Take the extra $300 and get lots of lap dances and stiff drinks......

Seriously. I was gonna drop $2500 on a bass before I played the one I bought for $490 (played one at GC and bought cheaper on ebay)....

Or use the $300 on a passive backup, not that you'll need it. Or maybe a passive bass and a blow-up doll you could put onstage wearing the bass, that would be awesome....

• Members

Schecter Stiletto Studio.

Schecter makes a nice bass. I had a C-4 for a couple of years, it was OK live but I never liked it for recording. I finally sold it when I got my Jazz bass.

Archived