Intonation on Hofner Icon Series bass?

ShuGAZER

• Members

Well, I don't mind if it's not spot on. I have a Danelectro Longhorn bass with a rosewood bridge that can't be intonated, but it's close enough. I suppose it's a matter of adjusting the bridge height on the Hofner until the intonation is somewhat acceptable?

• Members

I suppose it's a matter of adjusting the bridge height on the Hofner until the intonation is somewhat acceptable?

You'll find that string height has nothing to do with the intonation of your bass. Intonation is adjusted by moving the position of the string either forward or backwards under the bridge saddle. With an adjustable bridge this is very simple especially when each string saddle can be adjusted separately without affecting the other strings. On a fixed bridge like your Icon and Longhorn you literally have to move the bridge either forward, backward or cock it from one side to the other depending on which string needs intonating. I'm going to assume that it's the E string. If that's the case you need to lengthen the contact position of the string to the bridge. You do that by slightly cocking (moving) the bridge on the E string side back towards the bridge.

TD

• Members

Well, I loosened the strings and moved the bridge around like misterhinkydink suggested. It took a few tries, but the intonation is much improved. Not spot on, but good enough for now. The only issue remaining is the that the low E string buzzes a bit on the 1st fret.

DSCN4361.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Well, I loosened the strings and moved the bridge around like misterhinkydink suggested. It took a few tries, but the intonation is much improved. Not spot on, but good enough for now. The only issue remaining is the that the low E string buzzes a bit on the 1st fret.

DSCN4361.jpg

NICE Hofner!!!

For the buzzing, adjust the truss rod. It could also be the nut is too low. This is fixable.

ROCK ON!:thu:

• Members

Bought and received a used Icon earlier this week. It came with flats but since I had already bought some Labella flats (their special Hofner set), I put the new ones and did a complete setup. I had some buzz with the original strings even if the neck was straight. I just raised the bridge a little bit under the E string and everything sounded perfect. BTW, the Labella flats sound great. And the intonation was almost perfect too.

Just in time for some Beatles songs tomorrow night!

• Members

Bought and received a used Icon earlier this week. It came with flats but since I had already bought some Labella flats (their special Hofner set), I put the new ones and did a complete setup. I had some buzz with the original strings even if the neck was straight. I just raised the bridge a little bit under the E string and everything sounded perfect. BTW, the Labella flats sound great. And the intonation was almost perfect too.

Just in time for some Beatles songs tomorrow night!

I also use the La Bella Beatle flats on my Hofner Icons! GREAT tone and feel!:thu:

Archived