I'm boycotting The Ramones

mlwarriner

• Members

and strongly considering burning my Ramones t-shirt in protest.

I was in the tattoo shop the other night. They've got Sirius or XM or some other satellite radio in the shop, and we were listening to Marky Ramones' show.

He was playing some pretty good tunes, some not so good, etc. Whatever.

At some point, he started talking about The Clash. And he, no {censored}, said "The Clash were ok, but they weren't even on the level of The Ramones. They stole so much from us, and owed so much to us."

Has he seriously lost his {censored}ing mind?

• Members

I think "stole" is a gross exaggeration, but of course all of the UK punk bands, including the Clash, owe a lot to the Ramones. (and so does every other punk band.)

i don't disagree that lots of bands (punk or otherwise) owe a lot to the ramones, but to say the clash stole a lot from them, and weren't even on their level? {censored} that. i'm a huge fan of both bands, don't mistake that. but marky is a {censored}in' tard. i read his book, it was much the same. "every band that ever was stole from us. even elvis." {censored} like that.

:facepalm:

• Members

The Ramones were a big influence on The Clash...as they themselves even admitted. They didn't really "steal" anything from the Ramones though, and in my opinion they were better...but that's just it, opinion. Just like Marky Ramone is entitled to his opinion too.

But anyway, why boycott a band who's original members (except for Tommy) are dead? Marc Bell (Marky Ramone) wasn't even the original drummer.

• Members

Both the same genre but two wildly different bands. I think Marky is just gettin' bitter in his old age.

Nah, he's just on drugs. Or used to be on drugs and his brain looks like Swiss cheese. Give him a break.

• Members

The Ramones obviously influenced every punk band (whether they know it or not), but the Clash were by far the better musicians.

When it comes down to the bottom line, the Ramones played 50s rock at double time whilst sneering.

and wearing their guitars down around their knees. :freak:

deedee.jpg

• Members

Well, IIRC, the are in the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame. So they must mean
something
to the music industry, and their peers.

indeed. and i'll never deny the place of either band. but it's like comparing apples to mesa amps, it just ain't a reasonable comparison. yes, they were both "punk" bands, but that's about where the similarities end in my mind.

:idk:

perhaps boycotting the ramones is a bit over-zealous. maybe i'll just take marky ramone out of my will.

Archived