Hey Kindness / GM - other tube guys! [Guitar Content]

birdboy7007

• Members
Oh, yeah, and let's not forget Traynor.
:love:

Birdboy7007: if you like Fender, you'll love Traynor.
:thu:

I forgot about Traynor! A good Canadian company too... I have seen some nice ones pop up every once in awhile, but before I was thinking of getting anything. Time to keep my eyes peeled!

• Members

I use my Silverface Vibro Champ as my practice amp. It's a great little amp. I think I'm the second owner of it. Are they reliable? Yes. Do they sound good? Yes. (to me anyways) Would I buy one again if this one gave up the ghost? Yes. I think I got it off of the local Craig'slist for 3 bills. It even made it onto some of the recordings my band is putting together for our debut album. It works great with a slew of pedals and my ASATs. :)

• Members

I got a nice old Chicago made Harmony a few months back for not much more than the Valve Jr and other similar amps.

I got a chance to run the Harmony into a 4x12 Matamp cab last weekend and was amazed how great this little amp sounded when it was given some larger speakers to push. Not that it doesn't sound good thru the onboard speaker (aftermarket Weber)....but this sound last weekend blew me away! :rawk:

Anything I've heard from the Epiphones Valve Jr's has been disappointing and they seem to need a lot of mods to be functional.

• Members

Between what you listed, I'd get the Champ. I haven't really liked the Valve Jr. amps I've played. The VJs don't really have the tone I'm after.

Crate.

I've got the Palomino version of this that GC was carrying back when the series was US made. It's a nice little amp, but I do wish it had a second channel sometimes. But I've got a few options for getting overdrive so it's not a big deal.

When I got my amp I tried out all the 30 watt or less tube amps that were in the 4-500 dollar range I could get my hands on. For a while I was heavily considering the Peavey Classic 30, but since I wanted more of a studio amp that I can play in my apartment without angering the neighbors so I ended up going with the 15 watt Crate Palomino. I also liked the tone of the overdriven Crate more than the overdriven Classic 30. It wasn't that the Classic 30 tone was bad, just not exactly what I was wanting at the time.

If you haven't heard it, I'd describe the Crate's tone as somewhere in the Vox/Fender area. It's got to much chime to be a Fender, but not enough to be a Vox, and the reverb could be better.

• Members
Between what you listed, I'd get the Champ. I haven't really liked the Valve Jr. amps I've played. The VJs don't really have the tone I'm after.

I've got the Palomino version of this that GC was carrying back when the series was US made. It's a nice little amp, but I do wish it had a second channel sometimes. But I've got a few options for getting overdrive so it's not a big deal.

When I got my amp I tried out all the 30 watt or less tube amps that were in the 4-500 dollar range I could get my hands on. For a while I was heavily considering the Peavey Classic 30, but since I wanted more of a studio amp that I can play in my apartment without angering the neighbors so I ended up going with the 15 watt Crate Palomino. I also liked the tone of the overdriven Crate more than the overdriven Classic 30. It wasn't that the Classic 30 tone was bad, just not exactly what I was wanting at the time.

If you haven't heard it, I'd describe the Crate's tone as somewhere in the Vox/Fender area. It's got to much chime to be a Fender, but not enough to be a Vox, and the reverb could be better.

Cool thanks. The Champ got nabbed before I could get a hold of the guy, but just chanced upon a Crate Palomino 16 which I may take a look at. There's also a '64 Blackface Princeton up... if only I had $2000 to spare. :facepalm:

Archived