OT: Exchanging foreign currency...

Dark Slide

• Members

Personally, I always make sure I've got extra cash when I come home from Europe so I've got it for my next visit.

i come home with at least 50 Euros and/or Pounds in my pocket. enough to get a cuppa coffee and something to eat after landing and get into a city from the airport.

• Members

In my experience, I've never found a US bank/cu/whatever that came close to a Bureau de Change, even one at the Airport.

Personally, I always make sure I've got extra cash when I come home from Europe so I've got it for my next visit.

If he is a AAA member, they exchange currency and usually have quite good rates.

• Members

Well, my Visa check card came in today, thankfully, so I think I am going to be all set. I don't exactly travel to Europe often, so I don't really have any need to have Euros on hand.

I'll have my check card and credit card and I bought some traveler's checks as a backup, so I should be ok, I guess.

I AM an AAA member, and heard they did have good exchange rates, but the closest office is a good ways off.

• Members

Well, my Visa check card came in today, thankfully, so I think I am going to be all set. I don't exactly travel to Europe often, so I don't really have any need to have Euros on hand.

I'll have my check card and credit card and I bought some traveler's checks as a backup, so I should be ok, I guess.

I AM an AAA member, and heard they did have good exchange rates, but the closest office is a good ways off.

Yeah, you'll be fine. FWIW, I've been to Europe about half a dozen times, and have never once found an ATM that wouldn't give me money.

• Members

We just got back from Ireland and our ATM card worked all over the place.

No problems.

I'm not sure. But. I think your credit cards give you the best exchange rates. And. Just like here. Everywhere in Ireland took credit cards as payment. So. We put almost the whole trip on our debit/credit card.

We did take $200 cash with us. But. Never exchanged it, or needed it.

Also. A lot of places asked us if we wanted our purchases in Dollars, or Euros. We always choose dollars. I'm not sure if there's no exchange rate if you go that route. Hell. Who knows, we may have paid more that way.

That's one thing you should look into.

• Members

Some countries (e.g. Germany) tend not to use credit cards at all except in hotels and a minority of restaurants.

I forgot to add that in Germany, larger department stores take credit cards as well. Visa and MasterCard most likely, followed by American Express.

Most people use the "EC" standard ATM/debit card provided by their local (German) bank. Works great anywhere you need it, including gas stations, provided your bank doesn't get mad at you for taking too much out in a given week like mine occasionally does. :mad: But, not an option for short-term tourists.

In Rome a year ago, I just paid for the hotel with a credit card. The rest of the time I used cash. Except for maybe one semi-pricey restaurant.

The driver of your B&B pickup van from the airport will probably want a tip. ;)

P.S. Credit card contracts vary, but I often get nailed with 3% foreign transaction fees, followed by 3% currency conversion fees on mine. :( It used to be 3% and 1% respectively on my best card, but the majors are always rewriting the contracts unilaterally in their favor... :mad:

Archived