refinishing a bass?

mlwarriner

• Members

so i bought a project.

back.jpg

front.jpg

the removal of the finish has begun.

eventually, i'm thinking just plain black (either flat or gloss) is all i want to do to the body.

can i just finish scuffing it down, prime it with something and shoot rattle-can black over the top?

• Members

The best way to remove poly is with a heat gun and a scraper with the corners rounded.

You can go nitro, or any other "rattlecan" finish you choose.

The key to a good finish is preparation, compatable materials and attention to detail.

For local supplies, many folks at the Reranch forums use Duplicolor acrylic lacquers with a Minwax "black" nitro clear coat.

By the way, I'm just parroting what I've read at www.reranch.com.

Check out the refinishing forums.

:thu:

• Members

I've used chemical stripper with good results but with poly you need to use strong stuff.

KS-3 from Home Depot is the my favorite "Easily available" stuff.

Use some heavy dishwashing gloves. Apply with a bristle brush. Glob it on, do not stroke it, and apply a layer about 1/8" thick. Let it sit for 30-40 minutes, then scrape it and the finish off.

Keep a bucket of water and a rag handy. If any gets on your skin, wipe it off immediately or it will start to burn pretty badly.

Also use a mask, yadda yadda.

• Members

The consensus at Reranch is that the heat gun is the only way to go.

It's not that other options don't work EVER, it's just that they don't work CONSISTENTLY.

There are countless threads where people are advised to use a heat gun, try a chemical stripper, then revert to the heat gun after much mess and labor.

Just sayin'...

• Members

The consensus at Reranch is that the heat gun is the only way to go.

It's not that other options don't work EVER, it's just that they don't work CONSISTENTLY.

There are countless threads where people are advised to use a heat gun, try a chemical stripper, then revert to the heat gun after much mess and labor.

Just sayin'...

considering i'll have to buy whichever i choose to use, i think i'll go for the chemical stripper first.

:idk:

• Members

Cool :cool:

It'd be fun to follow along. Can you post progress photos?

I frequently find it appealing to imagine doing something like this myself, but I always return to earth when I realize how my handiness shortcomings would likely contribute to frustration and disappointment in the result.

I admit feeling a teeny bit let down when I read that you planned to refinish it black. IMO, the world of bass guitars is grossly lacking in the colorful finish department. Black is so common, frequently seen, represented. You have the really cool opportunity to choose a new finish from a huge variety of cool choices...to me, that's the most exciting part about a project like this! But obviously, this ain't about me.

Good on you for being willing to do all it takes to get what you want. :)

• Members

Chemical stripper is your best bet without buying a heat gun, but it's still going to be tough to get the poly off, get the strongest you can buy, take all the precautions (rubber gloves, mask, goggles, etc..) and you will get that thick stuff off...

This

1BodyBeforeFR2.jpg

1BodyBeforeBK.jpg

Stripped to this

7StrippedBody1.jpg

(I even took the sealer and went to the bare wood)

Followed by lots of fine sanding and a tung oil finish gets this

8Finished.jpg

• Members

Cool
:cool:

It'd be fun to follow along. Can you post progress photos?

I frequently find it appealing to imagine doing something like this myself, but I always return to earth when I realize how my handiness shortcomings would likely contribute to frustration and disappointment in the result.

I admit feeling a teeny bit let down when I read that you planned to refinish it black. IMO, the world of bass guitars is grossly lacking in the colorful finish department. Black is so common, frequently seen, represented. You have the really cool opportunity to choose a new finish from a huge variety of cool choices...to me, that's the most exciting part about a project like this! But obviously, this ain't about me.

Good on you for being willing to do all it takes to get what you want.
:)

but but but...i like black basses. :)

Archived