OT: Nerds... What's the best RPG these days?

zachoff

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've played through Oblivion about 5 times with all the DLC and all the quests and the Oblivion Gates closed. My wife hates that game.

Fallout 3 is next on my list. Mass Effect 3 is a good game, but gets bogged down in the story with all of the technical crap.

If you want something a little more "old school", check out Eternal Sonata or Tales of Vesperia. I've enjoyed both of those immensely.

When the next online Final Fantasy comes out, I'm all over it. They are switching to a WoW-style system, which will allow a little bit more soloing.

• Members
If you want something a little more "old school", check out
Eternal Sonata or Tales of Vesperia
. I've enjoyed both of those immensely.

These are awesome :thu: I love how Eternal Sonata is "about" Chopin.

You want some really good RPGs that are EXTREMELY tough (IMO anyways) check out Persona 3 FES and Persona 4 (story liens are always different so starting at 3 or 4 doesn't matter)

• Members
These are awesome
:thu:
I love how Eternal Sonata is "about" Chopin.

You want some really good RPGs that are EXTREMELY tough (IMO anyways) check out Persona 3 FES and Persona 4 (story liens are always different so starting at 3 or 4 doesn't matter)

Eternal Sonata is so sad and beautiful.

• Members

I'd like to think I could challenge that. I
still
play table-top RPG's, and GM a
weekly
game (Star Wars) while also being a player in a different weekly group (D&D) and I developed my own RPG game, complete with core rule book and players guide by the time I was in 9th grade.

That's alright Ren, RPGs are still cool in Canada right? Like parachute pants, jamz and feathered hair?

• Members

I am not really impressed with where video game RPGs are going and would rather just play pen and paper exclusively :)

Between games now but the last game I ran was a modified version of Unknown Armies to fit the Amber universe :p King kong nerd here.

• Members

I've played through Oblivion about 5 times with all the DLC and all the quests and the Oblivion Gates closed. My wife hates that game.

Fallout 3 is next on my list. Mass Effect 3 is a good game, but gets bogged down in the story with all of the technical crap.

If you want something a little more "old school", check out Eternal Sonata or Tales of Vesperia. I've enjoyed both of those immensely.

When the next online Final Fantasy comes out, I'm all over it. They are switching to a WoW-style system, which will allow a little bit more soloing.

I heard a lot about "If you liked Oblivion (I loved it), you'll like Fallout 3." This is only true if you're into the way the game plays. If you liked Oblivion for the scenery and the mood it sets, you probably won't like Fallout 3. Very dark and depressing, not a whole lot of color in the graphics. It fits the story of a postapocalyptic wasteland, but that has to be your cup of tea.

• Members
I heard a lot about "If you liked Oblivion (I loved it), you'll like Fallout 3." This is only true if you're into the way the game plays. If you liked Oblivion for the scenery and the mood it sets, you probably won't like Fallout 3. Very dark and depressing, not a whole lot of color in the graphics. It fits the story of a postapocalyptic wasteland, but that has to be your cup of tea.

Yeah, it'll probably still be my thing, then. :D

• Members

I'm playing Dungeons and Dragons Online right now. It's free to play and a pretty decent time waster.

As far as regular RPG type games, have you ever tried the Thief games? They are fantastic.

Personally I am very much into old school Sierra Games. Space Quest, King's Quest, Police Quest, the Leisure Suit Larry series. Obviously Fallout 3 is pure win.

Someone just let me borrow Assassin's Creed, so I am going to give a shot here soon... we'll see how it goes.

• Members

Zack what kind of RPGs do you like? I loved Morrowind and Oblivion, very few games give you that kind of freedom. If you have them on PC you can mod the crap out of them too, tons of replay value. I found a Vampire mod for Oblivion that kicks major arse.

Have you played any of the classics like Baldurs Gate, Planescape:Torment (top notch)

Do you like the carrot-on-a-stick online games? I am pretty much over those, but in the day I love Dark age of Camelot, City of Heroes/Villans, Wow (for about 2 weeks, meh)

While not technically RPG, the Diablo series is still one of the best ever made in my opinion. Ok, that's more Hack N Slash :D Not much RP to be had there. But fun as hell

• Members

How is Assassins Creed 1? Is it 1st or 3rd person? I tend to like 1st person more, but I don't like 1st person shooters very much.

I never played the first, I read there was too much tedious activity when looking for your guy to kill (walking around an entire city hoping to spy on the right conversation for your info, etc). The second apparently removes all that and has a much better way of playing your role...

It's a 3rd person action game, not shooter.

• Members
I'd like to think I could challenge that. I
still
play table-top RPG's, and GM a
weekly
game (Star Wars) while also being a player in a different weekly group (D&D) and I developed my own RPG game, complete with core rule book and players guide by the time I was in 9th grade.

And my man crush on Ren just keeps growing. :love:

Table top RPGs can be more fun than a barrel of monkeys with the right group. Problem is those groups are rare; long time ago I had some drinking buddies that were into D&D. They also had girlfriends, showered daily and didn't live on Hot Pockets. :) Gaming has an unfair stigma, probably because well, most gamers are pretty socially inept. :bor:

But not all, I really miss those guys :( We could go from moshing at the club to rolling dice and it was all good.

• Members
Zack what kind of RPGs do you like? I loved Morrowind and Oblivion, very few games give you that kind of freedom. If you have them on PC you can mod the crap out of them too, tons of replay value. I found a Vampire mod for Oblivion that kicks major arse.

Have you played any of the classics like Baldurs Gate, Planescape:Torment (top notch)

Do you like the carrot-on-a-stick online games? I am pretty much over those, but in the day I love Dark age of Camelot, City of Heroes/Villans, Wow (for about 2 weeks, meh)

While not technically RPG, the Diablo series is still one of the best ever made in my opinion. Ok, that's more Hack N Slash
:D
Not much RP to be had there. But fun as hell

The ones in the OP are my all-time favorites. Generally like 1st person quest-type RPGs though. Don't really like shooters. Oblivion/Morrowind is about as hack & slash as I like to get.

I really loved the Might & Magic series as a kid though.

I haven't beaten Baldur's Gate I or II, but I have them both. Kind of 'meh' about them.

I haven't played any online games. The ones I've heard of aren't free and I'm not going to pay a monthly fee to play a game.

• Members
The ones in the OP are my all-time favorites. Generally like 1st person quest-type RPGs though. Don't really like shooters. Oblivion/Morrowind is about as hack & slash as I like to get.

I really loved the Might & Magic series as a kid though.

I haven't beaten Baldur's Gate I or II, but I have them both. Kind of 'meh' about them.

I haven't played any online games. The ones I've heard of aren't free and I'm not going to pay a monthly fee to play a game.

It's going to be hard to top Morrowind and Oblivion. That's like having a Ferrari for a first car :)

Yea screw the online games, there is very little RPG there anyway. Unless you find an RPG only group but even that gets tedious.

Dunno what to tell you, I am in sort of the same boat when it comes to RPGs. :poke:

• Members

I really liked Morrowind and Oblivion and I've also really liked Neverwinter Nights, and the Might & Magic series... Your input is appreciated.

I found Morrowind and Oblivion started good but got boring and repetitive. Loved NWN (except SOZ).

Baldurs gate and Torment still great. Last cool game was Mass Effect - loved it. Looking forward to Dragon Age, except the Thrasjer Metal music in the demos is just annoying! I prefer the "epic" type music.

Archived