Buying first electric bass... thinking Ibanez

joegrant413

• Members

Hey folks,

I've played 6 string electric for years, and plan to buy my first electric bass. I really like my Ibanez S540 6 string, and so far the Ibanez basses I've tried just feel right to me.

Here's what I've tried from Ibanez:

GSR200

SR300

Ergodyne EBA900 used

Any thoughts on these axes? I'm trying to keep it around $200, but will go $300 if something is just to good to pass up.

Thx,

-- Joe

• Members

Cool, thanks!

FWIW, the only knock I heard on the GSR200 was from a guy who said the plastic nut went bad on it during a performance. He still recommended it, but just said I should replace it with graphite right away.

-- Joe

I've never had a problem with it, and it has been subjected to abuse and drops

• Members

I was really surprised by the Squier Affinity P I played the other day. Probably had a lot to do with the fact that I love unfinished necks, but it also felt substantial and didn't have that cheap bass feel to it at all.

Also, if you're looking at Ibanez, might want to look for a used BTB. I think they're pretty awesome.

• Members

Try the Fender Highway 1 P-bass - thats what I got as a starter when I moved from 6 to 4 strings. Lighter body than a regular P, but surprisingly good tone and good value for your money. Best to get something worth keeping even if you grow out of it. I had the frets removed and is now fretless. Good simple workhorse.

• Members

Although like Z. said, the BTB is where it's at with the Ibby's.
:thu:

Hey, what's the BTB?

BTW, with a bass, is it OK to try using it with some of my existing guitar gear... other than amps? I'm thinking esp. about my RP1000 mfx box, and with the Glass Nexus, which as modulation and delay FX.

Thanks,

-- Joe

• Members

GSR 200 is a solid starting out bass. I know a few folk who had one as their first. Personally it wasn't for me as it felt a bit small for my liking (I'm pretty tall and big) but each time I played one I got the impression it was one of the best in it's price range.

• Members

I have an GSR190 from the starter pack. It was my first bass. they're really nice and can be used as back up or beater basses, and there's really no problems with any parts on mine. The bridge is fine, the pots fine, the nut also hasn't snapped in nearly 2 years. And it holds tune after 2 weeks

• Members

Hey, what's the BTB?

BTW, with a bass, is it OK to try using it with some of my existing guitar gear... other than amps? I'm thinking esp. about my RP1000 mfx box, and with the Glass Nexus, which as modulation and delay FX.

Thanks,

-- Joe

Effects work fine. Some might sound like balls, and have some low end loss, but they work fine. I used a rat and muff and enjoyed the crap outta it.:thu:

• Members

I have an GSR190 from the starter pack. It was my first bass. they're really nice and can be used as back up or beater basses, and there's really no problems with any parts on mine. The bridge is fine, the pots fine, the nut also hasn't snapped in nearly 2 years. And it holds tune after 2 weeks

My son's friend has that or something very close. I like it.

Archived