OT: Who in here works in the cell phone biz?

chubrocker

• Members

OK, my here's my question/issue---

My wife and I have a plan with two phones. My wife RARELY uses her phone. I don't use mine much as well. Our bill is $83 a month with Sprint. I'm considering going with a pre-paid plan. But, I also need to get a new phone with full keyboard as I need to text easily (I work with college students who use texting as their email). Also, I don't want to change my phone number nor does my wife. Sprints pre-paid plan is OK (10cents a minute for calls/10cents per text), but I think I can find better. At our current usages, our bill would be $36 a month via prepaid usage. I'm wasting $50 a month for what I need/want. I can put that $600 into my ROTH--or a new bass!

Current phones offered via pre-paid plans are basic--none with a full keyboard that slides out, etc--just regular numbers. It's a pain to text without a full keyboard option for me---too slow and cumbersome. Can I buy a used phone and just use it with the prepaid plan?

Also, how easy it is to port your numbers? My contract ends with Sprint in Feb 2010. I've gone to visit T-Mobile and Verizon, but I get the sales pitches--"No, no, no---you need this"--which is typically NOTHING what I want. I just want some simple facts and info.

Any enlightenment would be appreciated.

Archived