best way to hear your singing tone ?

danjovi

• Members

I know recording it is the best bet, but what if you don't have access to recording equipment?

I've heard some people say that if you use ear plugs, you'll hear what you pretty much sound like. Any truth to that?

cause what I hear is tonally different when I wear ear plugs than from when I don't wear them.

• Members

I know recording it is the best bet, but what if you don't have access to recording equipment?

I've heard some people say that if you use ear plugs, you'll hear what you pretty much sound like. Any truth to that?

cause what I hear is tonally different when I wear ear plugs than from when I don't wear them.

No, that's exactly the WRONG thing to do if you want to hear what other people hear.

The additional resonance in your head is what makes you sound different to yourself compared to what other people hear. By putting in earplugs and effectively removing the sound coming into your ears from the equation, you are only depriving yourself of the part of the sound that other people actually DO hear.

• Members

The only thing I can think that might work without recording is a pair of isolation earphones, a good microphone and a mixer. You'll still hear the resonance of your head, since you'll be singing at the time, but the earphones will give you a more direct representation of what's coming out of your mouth than a speaker in a live room will. That's part of the reason so many people are using in-ears these days - it's much easier to hear yourself singing.

Recording is your best bet, though...and you can do it with any computer with a sound card and a cheap plug-in microphone.

The fidelity may not be great, but you will hear what you sound like.

Brian V.

• Members

Just take your hand and cup it. Hold it by the side of your head by your mouth and you will direct the sound coming of your mouth back to your ear.

Yeah, forgot the classic! But hold one hand in front of your mouth, the other as Consume described. Move 'em around a bit till you find the magic.

• Members

I used to run around with a headset mic and a IEM, but found it a bit too much hassle. I guess I'm gotten so used to the difference in my voice in different circumstances that I don't think about it anymore. I can pretty much guess how it sounds out, and when I do play with PA, it usually is correct. Then I sing all the time, amongst other in the car and shower.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

i went to a magnet school for the arts in elementary and middle school so we pretty much had to do choir. i remember one day, one of the mom's that helps with the choir and plays piano (might be a vocal coach actually) brought a milk jug that had one half cut out. when the whole choir was singing together, she would walk by everyone and hold the jug in front of each persons face for a little while...it was so they could hear themselves. it's a great trick. anything that is shaped so that the sound can be diverted back to your ears will work well. this allows you to hear your tone better as well as match pitches better. it's just like singing into a mic with headphones on really.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

When I am practicing something that I don't sing very well and I really want to hear it, I stand facing a wall in my hallway. Very close. I play guitar and I get about a foot away. I never tried the corner.

I used to sing into a mirror because I thought the glass reflected sound better, but my wife moved it.

I will tell you, don't be doing it when someone walks into the room or you will look like a narcisistic weirdo.

Archived