When the opening band is better than the headliner

Thunderbroom

• Members

it feels good!!

It's one thing to think your band blew the headliner off the stage. It's another when no less than 4 people that you don't know come up to you and tell you unsolicited including two people that were there specifically to see the headliner.

:cool:

I'm off to bed. My kids and I are headed to GA in about 8 hours.

• Members

i too have seen this. before they blew up, i saw killswitch engage opening for in flames. there was no freakin' contest. KSE {censored}in' destroyed. in flames was too busy getting into their matching white jumpsuits and having their roadies carry towels back and forth across the stage to them...

• Members

It was a pretty amazing evening. The place we played is famous for having huge country acts play there: Keith Urban, Martina McBride, Tim McGraw and a few weeks ago Carrie Underwood. It's a small place with a large stage and great sound system.

We had to set up around the headliners gear which shrunk the stage a bit, but we worked it and worked it hard. The crowd was really into it. If I had been in another band, I would not have wanted to follow us.

It was bittersweet though because it was likely our last show with our current lead guitarist. I'm really saddened by it, but what can you do?!?

And thanks Karl! I'm looking forward to spending some time with my family. I haven't seen them in almost two years.

• Members

I see this happen every single week where I work. The upstart, unassuming band with the down to earth guys show up on time, bring every person they know, and then get on stage and set the place on fire.

The headliners, who are "name" bands in the "scene", load in halfway through that band's set, draw 8 people, take 30 minutes to set up and soundcheck, butcher "Ball and Chain", drummer gets wasted, they sound like {censored}, and then they bitch to me about how they're not getting a guarantee.:rolleyes:

Here's your guarantee: I gave the first band all of the money from walk-in covers because they killed it and did their damn job with promotions, so they got paid more than you. AND I bought them a round of shots.:D

C7

• Members

i too have seen this. before they blew up, i saw killswitch engage opening for in flames. there was no freakin' contest. KSE {censored}in' destroyed. in flames was too busy getting into their matching white jumpsuits and having their roadies carry towels back and forth across the stage to them...

It doesn't hurt that KSE's guitarist is freakin' hysterical. I saw them at a festival in May 2008, and he had us laughing throughout their set.

• Members

it feels good!!

It's one thing to think your band blew the headliner off the stage. It's another when no less than 4 people that you don't know come up to you and tell you unsolicited including two people that were there specifically to see the headliner.

:cool:

It's a surefire way to never being asked to open for that band again. :cop:

Gotta love it when it happens though. :cool:

Archived