On topic....Schroeder related

no-logic

• Members

Wonder if this is going to be like the famed Accugroove impedance switch...

Yup, that debacle is uppermost in my mind, trust me...want to stay away from smoke and mirrors at all costs here...but like I say, technically if the speakers in your cab can be wired either in a 4-ohm or an 8-ohm impedance config, a switch should be possible...

I just emailed Jorg, will be interesting to see what he's got....

• Members

It is totally possible with dual voice coils to have a 4 ohm / 8 ohm selector.

Down side is, one option will be ~3db quieter than the other one, aside from the difference in watts, because of the way the dual voice coils work.

My understanding is Epifani or someone is doing that already.

• Members

Down side is, one option will be ~3db quieter than the other one, aside from the difference in watts, because of the way the dual voice coils work.

My understanding is
Epifani
or someone is doing that already.

Correct, they are.

• Members

My understanding is Epifani or someone is doing that already.

Yeah, I don't think Zamfir's cab has dual-coil speakers, I was just referring to the wiring configs, meaning 2 8-ohm spkrs can be wired in a cab to be a 4-ohm cab, or can be wired in series, I think it is, to be an 8-ohm cab, correct?

• Members

*paging smallEQ*

*smallEQ to the come here and brag about your {censored} phone please*

:D

I knew I felt my spidey sense tingling yesterday.

The 1212BMF is a far more even sounding cab than the 1210L or 1212L cabs (which I can't stand).

That said, even with the excursion issues that RPSands was mentioning earlier which is a little beyond my grasp, the most obvious thing to look at is the size of the box. As somebody mentioned, the Genz NeoX212 is 12 pounds heavier and also features a significantly larger internal volume. The 1212BMF is probably one of the smaller 2x12's on the market. The low end is very focussed, but won't really go boom. This is one of the only cabs that I increase the lows on my EQ for, but I don't always do that either.

The mids aren't as present as the 1210L or 1212L, but that almost has as much to do with the lack of lows on those cabs accentuating the mids. Even though I mostly play rock, I'm not sure all rockers would like this cab. I know some of the Jazz, funk guys dig this. Also it gets really freaking loud with my Little Mark at 4 ohms.

P1010066.jpg

• Members

Yeah, I don't think Zamfir's cab has dual-coil speakers, I was just referring to the wiring configs, meaning 2 8-ohm spkrs can be wired in a cab to be a 4-ohm cab, or can be wired in series, I think it is, to be an 8-ohm cab, correct?

No. :D

Your options are 4 Ohms (parallel) or 16 Ohms (series) using a pair of 8 Ohm single voice coil drivers.

There are two ways to achieve legitimate 4-8 Ohm impedance switching:

1) Dual VC drivers.

2) Impedance matching transformer with a 4 Ohm and an 8 Ohm tap on the primary winding.

• Members

The 1212BMF is a far more even sounding cab than the 1210L or 1212L cabs (which I can't stand).

That said, even with the excursion issues that RPSands was mentioning earlier which is a little beyond my grasp, the most obvious thing to look at is the size of the box. As somebody mentioned, the Genz NeoX212 is 12 pounds heavier and also features a significantly larger internal volume. The 1212BMF is probably one of the smaller 2x12's on the market. The low end is very focussed, but won't really go boom. This is one of the only cabs that I increase the lows on my EQ for, but I don't always do that either.

The mids aren't as present as the 1210L or 1212L, but that almost has as much to do with the lack of lows on those cabs accentuating the mids. Even though I mostly play rock, I'm not sure all rockers would like this cab. I know some of the Jazz, funk guys dig this. Also it gets really freaking loud with my Little Mark at 4 ohms.

P1010066.jpg

Did I post that I got to try out a Big Al? Oh my oh my...that bass was simply incredible. It was the most versatile bass I've ever played, and very comfortable to boot. I had to sit down with the salesguy and show him what everything was. He had no idea they even had it. After I schooled him he put it up prominently and it got quite a bit of attention.

• Members

P1010066.jpg

Thanks for the input. The more I hear and the more I think about this the more I think I will just keep the 21012L. I don't need to move it right now anyway. Maybe I'll keep my eyes open for a used 1215L and try that. Thanks to all.

• Members

No.

Your options are 4 Ohms (parallel) or 16 Ohms (series) using a pair of 8 Ohm single voice coil drivers.

There are two ways to achieve legitimate 4-8 Ohm impedance switching:

1) Dual VC drivers.

2) Impedance matching transformer with a 4 Ohm and an 8 Ohm tap on the primary winding.

Ah, my bad then....thanks for the straight info though!

Zamfir, my email response from Jorg is completely negative, no he does not have any such device, and he even alluded to the Accugroove attempt and failure....so I'm an idiot all the way around here! Sorry! Could have sworn I had heard something, but maybe just was wishful thinking!:facepalm:

• Members

Zamfir, my email response from Jorg is completely negative, no he does not have any such device, and he even alluded to the Accugroove attempt and failure....so I'm an idiot all the way around here! Sorry! Could have sworn I had heard something, but maybe just was wishful thinking!
:facepalm:

...tease. :mad:

No, that's OK. ;) I would've been impressed if it were possible! :D

Doesn't matter: ShuttleMax 6.0 + 4 ohm 1215L is more than loud enough for me given my rare gigging, let alone in large places I never see. :facepalm:

• Members

Zamfir, my email response from Jorg is completely negative, no he does not have any such device, and he even alluded to the Accugroove attempt and failure....so I'm an idiot all the way around here! Sorry! Could have sworn I had heard something, but maybe just was wishful thinking!
:facepalm:

I'd suspect that all of the manufactures of boutique cabinets are probably acutely aware of the Accugroove debacle.

There really isn't any advantage to it anyway. Switching from 8 to 4 ohms and keeping the same number of drivers doesn't really gain you much SPL.

• Members

+1 Love the 1212BMF with my LMIII and 79 Sting Ray. Backing off the high mids a touch to 11 o'clock mellows the aggressiveness but EQ'd flat it really GROWLS!! A little VPF adds low end as mentioned above.

DSC_0343.jpg

• Members

I'd suspect that all of the manufactures of boutique cabinets are probably
acutely
aware of the Accugroove debacle.

There really isn't any advantage to it anyway. Switching from 8 to 4 ohms and keeping the same number of drivers doesn't really gain you much SPL.

Yeah, very true....Zamfir was just wishing the cab was 8 ohms so he could try combining it with others, I think he mentioned an Eden cab he has...

• Members

+1 Love the 1212BMF with my LMIII and 79 Sting Ray. Backing off the high mids a touch to 11 o'clock mellows the aggressiveness but EQ'd flat it really GROWLS!! A little VPF adds low end as mentioned above.

DSC_0343.jpg

We have similar tastes...nice man!

• Members

Yeah, very true....Zamfir was just wishing the cab was 8 ohms so he could try combining it with others, I think he mentioned an Eden cab he has...

this is correct. [/frunobulax]

The Eden 210XLT (8 ohm) is actually Jugghaid's old cab. Great cab. :thu:

Archived