Any Honda Element Owners?!? (Or used car buying advice)

Thunderbroom

• Members

I have always loved the look of these vehicles. It looks like I may be somewhat forced into upgrading from my '00 Caravan with >175k miles on it. Now is the time I think to consider getting one. I will definitely be going used.

For those of you that know about them, what are your thoughts? If you own one, would you buy another one? Anything that you don't like about them?

Thanks!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have always loved the look of these vehicles. It looks like I may be somewhat forced into upgrading from my '00 Caravan with >175k miles on it. Now is the time I think to consider getting one. I will definitely be going used.

For those of you that know about them, what are your thoughts? If you own one, would you buy another one? Anything that you don't like about them?

Thanks!

:wave:

I would definitely buy another.

http://ebassist.com/forum/showpost.php?p=354829&postcount=49

• Members

I also looked for another thread on here that I mentioned a music related issue. My bass case does not fit sideways in the Element. My previous car was a Subaru Legacy wagon and it fit in there. I was a little disappointed to have to put my case on the floor between the front seat and back seat.

DSCF0009.jpg

• Members

Couldn't you just swing the rear seats out of the way?!?

Oh yeah, there's a ton of room back there with the seats moved. The seats fold up to the side or remove altogether. I just don't like fiddling with the seats and mentioned it because it might be an issue for you. Obviously it's not a dealbreaker for me either.

• Members

Hondas the last few model years have been aflicted with transmission trouble. I know the element and the odessy have been frequent harbingers of trans trouble.

I'd look into more domestic offerings.

Interesting. CR gives every model year of the Element its highest rating for transmissions.

• Members

... but the people I know have them love 'em.

When we were doing our research, we would ask people in parking lots etc... the answer was a universal love for their Elements! A couple opened up their cars and demonstrated the versatility. It even comes with a fold out table for tailgaiting/camping...and you can hose out the interior if you get a lot of mud or dirt in there...(no carpet)

• Members

When we were doing our research, we would ask people in parking lots etc... the answer was a universal love for their Elements! A couple opened up their cars and demonstrated the versatility. It even comes with a fold out table for tailgaiting/camping...and you can hose out the interior if you get a lot of mud or dirt in there...(no carpet)

You have to buy the legs separately and you can't hose out the interior.

• Members

Got a related question...

I have a price in mind that I'm willing to spend. What is the best route to take if everything else seems to be equal: older with lower mileage or newer with higher mileage?

That's seems pretty subjective, but I will say that the 2003 model had some body issues that they worked out in later years. Also, in 2007 they changed the front passenger seat belt location from the back door to the front seat. I couldn't say which would be preferable (depending on your height and if you carry passengers) for you but it might affect your decision (in the door=no rear passenger exit with seat belt on, in the seat=possible discomfort from seat belt always on your shoulder).

Archived