High-Capacity, non-iPod MP3 players?

mlwarriner

• Members

Not bashing Mac, I just don't think iPods are worth the extra cost for what you get.

So, I'm in the market for a higher capacity mp3 player. I have about 28 gB of music now, with (surely) more to come. So I'd like a player in the 40 to 60 gig range.

Suggestions?

Thanks.

m

• Members

This is the one I was considering a few weeks back. Let me know how it works out for you. I thought my 8G was big enough-----nope!

i convinced myself i didn't need to haul my whole library around, and sold my 80g ipod to my niece.

then i realized that i do, in fact, want to be able to haul my whole library around.

:(

• Members

+1 on Creative. The audio quality blows iPods out of the water.

You can set the audio quality to whatever you want, can't you? You can set the Zune software to rip anywhere between 128 and 320k. 192k is my favorite compromise between size and quality. :idk: Seems the player wouldn't have much to do with the audio quality unless the headphones you get are that much better.

• Members

You can set the audio quality to whatever you want, can't you? You can set the Zune software to rip anywhere between 128 and 320k. 192k is my favorite compromise between size and quality.
:idk:
Seems the player wouldn't have much to do with the audio quality unless the headphones you get are that much better.

There's a big difference in audio quality, depending on the player's internal amplifier, D/A conversion, etc. With the same files and the same headphones (and even into my car's AUX input), my Creative Zen Vision:M sounds worlds better than my Sansa e280.

$.02

• Members

I have a Creative Zen X-Fi 16gb with the wireless feature which is useless for outside your home but it's cool cause I can listen to or watch videos from my laptop without it being connected. It'll connect to any available unsecured or secured (if you know the key) network. Supposed to be able to use Yahoo IM or Microsoft IM to chat with but I can't get that to work but I like the capacity. It's perfect for what I need it for. Sound quality is excellent as well as the noise cancelling earbuds it comes with.

• Members

Seems the player wouldn't have much to do with the audio quality unless the headphones you get are that much better.

For the most part, you're right. I mean, if you're just gonna listen with el cheapo/crap headphones/buds why bother having a device that has decent quality audio.

For me personally, if I'm going to listen to music I prefer the best quality I can muster. Ergo the reason I have Ultimate Ears (buds) for my Zen XiFi and rip everything at 320Kbps.

Archived